Plane diverted to Dulles for fire in cockpit
CHANTILLY, Va. - May 17, 2010 -- A United Airlines flight from New York made an emergency landing outside Washington after a fire broke out in the plane's cockpit, a spokeswoman for the Federal Aviation Administration said.
The fire aboard the Boeing 757 was extinguished before the plane landed Sunday night and no injuries were reported, FAA spokeswoman Holly Baker said.
United Airlines spokesman Mike Trevino said the plane took off from New York's John F. Kennedy International Airport bound for Los Angeles and was diverted to Dulles International Airport, where it landed at 9:36 p.m. All 105 passengers and seven crew members got off safely, Trevino said. He did not have any other details.
Baker said the FAA was investigating the incident but to her knowledge, there was no criminal activity involved.
Passenger Phil Lobel, who has a public relations business in Los Angeles, told The Associated Press that about 30 minutes into the flight he detected an electrical burning smell.
He said flight attendants began going over emergency instructions with passengers in the exit rows and someone brought up a fire extinguisher from the back of the plane to the cockpit.
Lobel said the plane landed within about 20 minutes and a half-dozen or more emergency vehicles met the aircraft in Virginia.
Afterward, Lobel said passengers who had seats in the front of the plane showed him photographs they took of flames in the cockpit. Some of the passengers on the flight were celebrities, he said.
About an hour after the plane landed, Lobel received an e-mail from United apologizing for the "experience" he had on the flight.
emergency landing, washington, d.c., national/world
- More Snow on the Way 43 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings 40 min ago
- 2 arrested for violent Center City attack 54 min ago
- Arrest in S. Phila. Christmas decoration theft 44 min ago
- Woman stabbed female cousin to death, police say
- Roy Halladay retiring as a Blue Jay
- Man who bought guns for teen sentenced 52 min ago
- 2 kids, 3 others injured in school bus crash
- US Airways, American merger complete 55 min ago
- Rachael Ray's cookbook competition 59 min ago
- AAA: Prepare your car for winter driving now!
- Photos: Pictures from Paul Walker memorial rally
- More Snow on the Way
43 min ago
- Woman finds, returns envelope full of cash
42 min ago
- 2 arrested for violent Center City attack
54 min ago
- Arrest in S. Phila. Christmas decoration...
44 min ago