Obama: Vilsack 'jumped the gun' on Sherrod
WASHINGTON - July 22, 2010 -- President Barack Obama says Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack "jumped the gun" when he decided to dismiss employee Shirley Sherrod from her job at the department amid accusations of racism.
Obama tells ABC News in an interview that Vilsack acted in part because the current media climate requires everyone to scramble when something goes up on YouTube or a blog.
Vilsack acted after portions of a speech Sherrod had given were posted on a conservative website. The administration changed course and apologized after the full speech was made available and told a different story.
Obama personally apologized to Sherrod on Thursday and appealed to her to return to work at the department.
Full video posted by NAACP: http://www.naacp.org/news/entry/video(underscore)sherrod
farming, president barack obama, national/world
- 3 frigid days, another weekend storm
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- On video: Robber dives thru window, attacks clerk
- Woman killed in Germantown was Villanova prof. 17 min ago
- Limo driver charged in wreck that killed newlyweds
- Man shot, killed on Kensington street 19 min ago
- Cab driver carjacked in South Philadelphia
- South Street area restaurants damaged, burglarized
- Pope Francis 'Person of the Year'; popularity surges 2 min ago
- Stranded family found alive in Nevada
- Fake deaf interpreter crashes Mandela memorial 5 min ago
- Photos: Victoria's Secret Fashion Show 2013 (Photos)
- Fake deaf interpreter crashes Mandela...
5 min ago