Obama: Vilsack 'jumped the gun' on Sherrod
WASHINGTON - July 22, 2010 -- President Barack Obama says Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack "jumped the gun" when he decided to dismiss employee Shirley Sherrod from her job at the department amid accusations of racism.
Obama tells ABC News in an interview that Vilsack acted in part because the current media climate requires everyone to scramble when something goes up on YouTube or a blog.
Vilsack acted after portions of a speech Sherrod had given were posted on a conservative website. The administration changed course and apologized after the full speech was made available and told a different story.
Obama personally apologized to Sherrod on Thursday and appealed to her to return to work at the department.
Full video posted by NAACP: http://www.naacp.org/news/entry/video(underscore)sherrod
farming, president barack obama, national/world
- Shots fired into a Philadelphia firehouse 52 min ago
- AccuWeather: Friday Clouds and SE Rain
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 3 Phila. schools relocating students, staff Friday 12 min ago
- How to safeguard your computer against kidnappers 34 min ago
- Retired Philly cop charged with assaulting teen
- Police: Gloucester Co. woman's death a homicide
- Police search for missing Philadelphia couple
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Resident return to assess damage from Ewing explosion
- K9 unit leads police to burglary suspect in Medford
- Obama says Crimea separation would violate law
- Upper Darby cop charged with DUI in hit-and-run
- Shots fired into a Philadelphia firehouse
52 min ago