Israel indicts 3 Arabs on espionage charges
JERUSALEM - August 5, 2010 -- Israel has indicted three Arab men on charges of spying for Syria.
The Shin Bet security service reported on Thursday that two Druse Arabs living in the Golan Heights and an Arab citizen of Israel were charged with passing information to the enemy and plotting to kidnap a Syrian pilot who had defected to Israel.
Israel captured the Golan Heights from Syria in the 1967 war. The two indicted Druse Arabs - a father and son - are Syrian citizens, like most of the Druse in the Golan Heights.
Thousands of Druse surrounded the home of one of the two charged Druse Arabs when police arrived to arrest him in July, trapping officers inside for hours before the standoff ended peacefully.
Israel has recently charged several Israeli Arabs with espionage.
spying, israel, national/world
- 50 coworkers in Del. to split $1M Mega Millions ticket
- Turning Milder
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Video captures Laundromat robbery
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's
- Cat hoarder at Grace Kelly home found guilty
- Arsonist tries to torch atheist billboard in NJ
- Teacher admits to sex with 4 students
- London theater balcony believed to have collapsed 11 min ago
- On video: Armed robber fails after KFC workers flee
- Holiday tips, cards stolen in East Pikeland Twp.
- Pastor defrocked after performing son's gay wedding
- Barbara Walters' Most Fascinating Person revealed
More 6abc.com resources
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos