Israel indicts 3 Arabs on espionage charges
JERUSALEM - August 5, 2010 -- Israel has indicted three Arab men on charges of spying for Syria.
The Shin Bet security service reported on Thursday that two Druse Arabs living in the Golan Heights and an Arab citizen of Israel were charged with passing information to the enemy and plotting to kidnap a Syrian pilot who had defected to Israel.
Israel captured the Golan Heights from Syria in the 1967 war. The two indicted Druse Arabs - a father and son - are Syrian citizens, like most of the Druse in the Golan Heights.
Thousands of Druse surrounded the home of one of the two charged Druse Arabs when police arrived to arrest him in July, trapping officers inside for hours before the standoff ended peacefully.
Israel has recently charged several Israeli Arabs with espionage.
spying, israel, national/world
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspect 53 min ago
- AccuWeather: Two very mild days
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Investigators chasing 'every angle' on missing jet
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Victim shot 7 times in Kensington 1 min ago
- 1 dead, 1 injured in Winslow Twp. crash
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown
- 2 dozen injured as California school stage falls
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90
- Are store credit cards worth the discount? 19 min ago
- Photos: Kevin Grow joins Harlem Globetrotters
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspect
53 min ago