Swiss campaigners hope to revive death penalty
GENEVA - August 24, 2010 -- Swiss death penalty advocates can start collecting signatures for a referendum on whether to restore capital punishment in the Alpine republic after almost 70 years, the government said Tuesday.
An announcement in the federal bulletin said the documents submitted by campaigners meet formal legal requirements.
The group now has until Feb. 24, 2012, to collect the 100,000 signatures needed to call a popular vote on reintroducing the death penalty for murders involving sexual abuse, the announcement said.
Switzerland eliminated capital punishment from its criminal statutes in 1942. The last civilian to be executed in Switzerland was beheaded in 1940. The death penalty remained part of Switzerland's military law until 1992, though the last executions took place by firing squad in 1944.
Authorities have yet to examine whether the death penalty would be constitutionally legal and in line with Switzerland's international obligations, including the European Convention on Human Rights.
Government spokesman Andre Simonazzi said if parliament finds that capital punishment would breach the Swiss constitution or international treaties it can block the referendum from taking place.
The proposal to reinstate the death penalty has drawn criticism from all sides of the political spectrum and comes less than a year after Switzerland made headlines worldwide by voting to ban the construction of minarets.
A spokesman for human rights group Amnesty International in Switzerland, Daniel Graf, said reintroducing capital punishment would put Switzerland at odds with a general trend around the world to abolish the death penalty. The only country in Europe that still practices the death penalty is Belarus, he said.
"I don't think many people will support this proposal," said Graf. "In Switzerland, there is a broad consensus across party lines that the state shouldn't kill and must respect basic human rights."
- Deadly shooting near La Salle University 18 min ago
- AccuWeather: Weather Whiplash 16 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Pedestrian struck in North Philadelphia 39 min ago
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to death
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death 51 min ago
- Volunteer brutally assaulted outside Lehigh Co. church 6 min ago
- Delco police standoff ends, suspect dead
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm 24 min ago
- Tests confirm toxic chemicals inside Phila. fire station 15 min ago
- Malaysian military: Missing jet changed course 24 min ago
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- AccuWeather: Weather Whiplash
16 min ago
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's...
51 min ago