Russia claims portion of North Polar Region
MOSCOW (AP) - September 22, 2010 -- A Kremlin adviser says Russia is optimistic that the United Nations will approve its claim to territory in the Arctic.
Alexander Bedritsky, the presidential adviser on climate change, says Russia is gathering additional data to support its claim on the polar region.
Russia, the United States. Canada, Denmark and Norway have all been trying to assert jurisdiction over parts of the Arctic region believed to contain as much as a quarter of the Earth's undiscovered oil and gas. Shrinking polar ice opens up new opportunities for the area's exploration.
Bedritsky and other officials at an Arctic forum opening Wednesday in Moscow said Arctic nations need to cooperate more closely and to settle disputes peacefully.
russia, north pole, energy, national/world
- Montco DA: Drug ring targeted schools; 8 arrested 36 min ago
- Sunny today, more clouds tomorrow 17 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- All clear given at Del. National Guard base 3 min ago
- Skydiver in fatal South Jersey accident ID'd
- Photos: Pictures from NJ skydiving accident
- Woman's body found in Pa. excavation storage site
- Medical chopper called to crash on Route 55 32 min ago
- Jogger helps rescue man from Schuylkill River 30 min ago
- American Meb Keflezighi wins Boston Marathon 5 min ago
- Surveillance expected from Target heist
- Teen stowaway survives flight in landing gear 15 min ago
- Photos: Jamie Apody welcomes Baby Chase!
- Montco DA: Drug ring targeted schools; 8...
36 min ago
- Medical chopper called to crash on Route 55
32 min ago
- Jogger helps rescue man from Schuylkill River
30 min ago
- Teen stowaway survives flight in landing gear
15 min ago