France: Baby dies, 10 injured in fall from window
PARIS (AP) - October 23, 2010 -- A 4-month-old baby died after he and 10 other people fell from the third-story window of a suburban Paris apartment building on Saturday, an official said.
The baby had been admitted in serious condition to a Paris children's hospital after the accident and died there hours later. The other victims - adults and several children, all of African origin - were hospitalized with multiple traumas, the judicial official said.
Circumstances surrounding the early-morning incident were unclear and it wasn't known if the victims jumped on purpose or were forced to, the official said. There was no emergency, such as a fire, in the building at the time.
An initial investigation suggested they jumped after one of the women involved became hysterical and started shouting she'd seen the devil, the official said. However, French television reports suggested the tragedy occurred when one of the men living in the apartment entered a room where the others were watching TV after taking off all his clothes.
Two men - a 30-year-old and a man who jumped out of the window holding a 2-year-old - have been taken into police custody, the judicial official said on condition of anonymity in keeping with her job's regulations.
The apartment building is located in the Paris suburb of La Verriere.
paris, france, national/world
- Multi-vehicle crash closes EB Pa. Turnpike 14 min ago
- Temps Soar
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- 2 men sought in Deptford Twp. hotel robbery
- Quick moving blaze damages house in West Philly
- Car plunges into lake in Vineland, victims ID'd 57 min ago
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's
- Steps you can take to reduce fraud risk
- Over 75 injured in partial London theater collapse
- Is heroin addiction as close as your medicine cabinet?
- Philadelphia Police search for missing 2-year-old boy
- Photos: Pictures of the Pa. Turnpike crash 14 min ago
- 50 coworkers in Del. to split $1M Mega Millions ticket
- Temps Soar