Flooding at Iceland volcano could signal eruption
REYKJAVIK, Iceland - November 1, 2010 -- Torrents of water are pouring from a glacier that sits atop Iceland's most active volcano, an indication that the mountain is growing hotter and may be about to erupt, scientists said Monday.
The flood that began Thursday at the Grimsvotn volcano is similar to one in 2004 that lasted five days and ended with an eruption that disrupted European air traffic, University of Iceland geophysicist Pall Einarsson said.
In April, millions of air travelers around the world were grounded when ash from Iceland's Eyjafjallajokul volcano led most northern European countries to close airspace for five days.
There are no signs yet of the underground tremors that would signal an eruption at Grimsvotn, Icelandic Meteorological Office geophysicist Gunnar Gudmundsson said.
Grimsvotn lies under 650 feet (200 meters) of ice on the Vatnajokull glacier in southeast Iceland. In addition to 2004, it erupted in 1998 and 1996, causing flooding to a largely uninhabited plain around it.
The flooding triggered by hot molten rock, or magma, from the volcano has been expanding a lake underneath the glacier, building pressure strong enough to send water pouring from under the ice cap.
A rugged island in the north Atlantic, Iceland is one of the world's most volcanically active countries.
volcano, flooding, iceland, national/world
- 2 men sought in Deptford Twp. hotel robbery 17 min ago
- Temps Soar
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Quick moving blaze damages house in West Philly 48 min ago
- 1 dead after car plunges into lake in Vineland
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's
- Steps you can take to reduce fraud risk
- Over 75 injured in partial London theater collapse
- Is heroin addiction as close as your medicine cabinet? 25 min ago
- Philadelphia Police search for missing 2-year-old boy
- Attempted child luring in Newtown, Bucks County
- Video: Remembering a wife/mother lost to cancer
- 50 coworkers in Del. to split $1M Mega Millions ticket
- Temps Soar
- 2 men sought in Deptford Twp. hotel robbery
17 min ago
- Quick moving blaze damages house in West...
48 min ago