Suicide bomber kills 15 in northwest Pakistan
PESHAWAR, Pakistan (AP) - December 8, 2010 -- A suicide bomber blew up a bus in northwest Pakistan on Wednesday, killing 15 people in the third attack to hit the country this week.
The blast, like the earlier ones, took place close to the border regions with Afghanistan, the stronghold of Islamist militants threatening the stability of nuclear-armed Pakistan.
The bomber destroyed a small passenger bus at a station in a market area of Kohat city, photographs taken by The Associated Press showed. Many of the victims were onboard the vehicle. It was unclear whether the attacker was inside the bus.
Al-Qaida and Taliban militants seeking to overthrow Pakistan's broadly pro-Western government have carried out scores of bombings in recent years, mostly against Western, government or security targets. The army has responded with offensives in some parts of the northwest.
Most of the buses at the stand were heading to Orakzai, a border region that has seen army operations against the militants this year. Shad Ali, a doctor who heads the health administration in Kohat, said 15 were killed and 25 injured in the blast.
The attack occurred on the first day of the Islamic month of muharram, which often sees attacks by Sunni extremist groups on minority Shia Muslims. Orakzai and Kohat city are home to some Shia, but the religious affiliations of the victims were not immediately known.
On Monday, 50 people were killed in two blasts at a government compound in Mohmand, also in the border area. A spokesman for the Pakistan Taliban, the main militant group in the northwest, claimed responsibility for that attack earlier Wednesday.
On Tuesday, a suicide bomber attempted to kill the chief minister in the Baluchistan province, which also borders Afghanistan.
pakistan, terrorism, bombing, national/world
- 3 beach homes destroyed in Sea Isle City fire 28 min ago
- Egg-cellent holiday weekend
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Images of Sea Isle City fire 41 min ago
- Authorities searching Delaware River for boater
- Photos: Pictures of out-of-control boat on the Del....
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Arrest warrant sought for captain of sunken ferry 56 min ago
- Popular chocolate maker reopens in time for Easter
- Montco hall closes weeks before bride's wedding
- Search continues for robbers in armored car heist
- Penn State police: 3 posed nude at Nittany shrine
- McNabb serves 1-day sentence after DUI arrest
- Hate messages sprayed on W. Amwell business
54 min ago