Haynesworth formally charged with assault
RESTON, Va. (AP) - February 12, 2011 (WPVI) -- Washington Redskins defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth has been formally charged with misdemeanor assault stemming from a road rage incident earlier this month.
Fairfax County police say the 29-year-old Haynesworth and his attorney appeared at a police station Saturday morning. Haynesworth signed a summons warrant charging him with assault and left.
He's scheduled to appear in court on March 31.
The encounter that led to the charge occurred on Feb. 2. Police said a 38-year-old man told investigators he was assaulted by the driver of a pickup truck who was tailgating him. The driver was later identified as Haynesworth.
Haynesworth's agent, Chad Speck, has said the player is innocent and that his accuser is seeking fame and money.
washington redskins, assault, national/world
- Photos: Maps of Monday's expected snow
- Snow likely Sunday into Monday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- SEPTA union agrees to keep working 37 min ago
- Break dancers spark controversy on SEPTA trains 32 min ago
- 3 injured in 2-alarm fire in Holmesburg
- Students evacuated in Camden H.S. gas leak
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL 57 min ago
- Missing plane: Piracy theory gains more credence 42 min ago
- Police investigate death of toddler at Del. daycare 1 min ago
- Teen father arrested for biting nose off infant
- 5 arrested after Logan murder, standoff
- Video: Pastor collapses, dies, after admitting...
- SEPTA union agrees to keep working
37 min ago
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL
57 min ago