Haynesworth formally charged with assault
RESTON, Va. (AP) - February 12, 2011 (WPVI) -- Washington Redskins defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth has been formally charged with misdemeanor assault stemming from a road rage incident earlier this month.
Fairfax County police say the 29-year-old Haynesworth and his attorney appeared at a police station Saturday morning. Haynesworth signed a summons warrant charging him with assault and left.
He's scheduled to appear in court on March 31.
The encounter that led to the charge occurred on Feb. 2. Police said a 38-year-old man told investigators he was assaulted by the driver of a pickup truck who was tailgating him. The driver was later identified as Haynesworth.
Haynesworth's agent, Chad Speck, has said the player is innocent and that his accuser is seeking fame and money.
washington redskins, assault, national/world
- AccuWeather: Easter to be comfortable, breezy 8 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Sign up for Facebook Flash
- Man shot, killed in Gloucester Twp. apartment
- Girl hospitalized after near-drowning in Philly hotel
- Man targeted in Collingdale hit-and-run ID'd
- Missing boater in Del. River ID'd, search called off
- Armed robbery at Target on Roosevelt Boulevard
- Pedestrian struck, killed by truck in Rhawnhurst
- Sex assault on West Chester University campus
- Stabbing at Hamilton Mall in Mays Landing
- Good Samaritans help nab alleged purse snatchers
- Lumberton brush fire considered 'suspicious'
- AccuWeather: Easter to be comfortable, breezy
8 min ago