Reports: Iran detains daughter of ex-President Rafsanjani
TEHRAN, Iran (AP) - February 20, 2011 (WPVI) -- Iran's official news agency says authorities have detained the daughter of former President Akbar Hashemi Rafsanjani, the most powerful opposition supporter inside the country's clerical leadership.
The report on the IRNA news agency says Faezeh Hashemi was arrested Sunday while trying to cause unrest by chanting anti-government slogans in one of the main streets of Tehran.
Iran's opposition had called for a rally Sunday to mark a week since the deaths of two people in Feb. 14 clashes between security forces and opposition protesters in Tehran.
Rafsanjani's youngest daughter was also briefly detained in the unrest that followed 2009's disputed presidential election.
Hard-liners have criticized the moderate Rafsanjani for supporting Iran's opposition leaders.
iran, protest, middle east, national/world
- Hats get women ejected from KoP Mall
- Warm and humid, 80s again today 56 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Report: FBI agent fatally shoots Tsarnaev associate 44 min ago
- Man gunned down at water ice stand
- Skippack student may have 'voluntarily' vanished
- Chesco man killed longtime girlfriend, police say
- Bar fight ends with 2 shot in SW Philadelphia
- Okla. residents come home to pick up the pieces
- Suicide at Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris
- Vatican insists that no papal exorcism took place
- Sleep monitors promise a better night's sleep
- Rob Jennings to retire after 36 Years at 6abc
- Warm and humid, 80s again today
56 min ago