Reports: Iran detains daughter of ex-President Rafsanjani
TEHRAN, Iran (AP) - February 20, 2011 (WPVI) -- Iran's official news agency says authorities have detained the daughter of former President Akbar Hashemi Rafsanjani, the most powerful opposition supporter inside the country's clerical leadership.
The report on the IRNA news agency says Faezeh Hashemi was arrested Sunday while trying to cause unrest by chanting anti-government slogans in one of the main streets of Tehran.
Iran's opposition had called for a rally Sunday to mark a week since the deaths of two people in Feb. 14 clashes between security forces and opposition protesters in Tehran.
Rafsanjani's youngest daughter was also briefly detained in the unrest that followed 2009's disputed presidential election.
Hard-liners have criticized the moderate Rafsanjani for supporting Iran's opposition leaders.
iran, protest, middle east, national/world
- Numbers drawn for $636M Mega Millions jackpot
- Brisk And Cold 2 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Water main break causes river of ice in Cherry Hill 9 min ago
- Fire damages South Philadelphia apartment 17 min ago
- Phila. attorney Charles Peruto, Sr. dies
- Dramatic video released of violent 7-Eleven robbery
- Coach charged with sexually assaulting 4 more victims
- Woman found murdered in Bethlehem
- 91-year-old man stabbed, robbed in Egg Harbor
- Harvard student charged in campus bomb hoax
- Kevin Hart on stolen computers: I'll be back
- Brisk And Cold
2 min ago
- Water main break causes river of ice in...
9 min ago