Police: DNA confirms suspect 'East Coast Rapist'
NEW HAVEN, Conn. (AP) -March 5, 2011 (WPVI) -- New Haven police say DNA confirmed that a man arrested Friday in Connecticut is the East Coast Rapist suspected of terrorizing women with sexual assaults from Virginia to Rhode Island over 12 years.
Lt. Julie Johnson said DNA was collected and subsequently matched by the state police forensic lab confirming 39-year-old Aaron Thomas was the East Coast Rapist.
Johnson said New Haven police have charged Thomas with first-degree sexual assault and risk of injury to a minor and he was being held on $1 million bond. Authorities in Prince William County, Virginia, are charging him with being a fugitive from justice as well as rape and abduction charges.
The East Coast Rapist is wanted for 17 rapes and other attacks in Connecticut, Maryland, Rhode Island and Virginia.
rape, connecticut, maryland, rhode island, virginia, national/world
- McNabb serves 1-day sentence after DUI arrest
- Frost Advisory Overnight 26 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 1 dead, 1 wounded in Crescentville shooting 1 min ago
- Heist investigation leads to Roxborough apartment 51 min ago
- Stalkers have QVC host living in fear
- 13 pound baby born at Delco hospital
- Police: Elderly man targeted in Chester home invasion
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids 7 min ago
- Police: Brandywine Park flasher surrenders
- Reward offered in poisoning of puppy
- WWII vet gets anonymous surprise in Warminster
- Beau Biden to run for governor in Del.
- Frost Advisory Overnight
26 min ago
- Heist investigation leads to Roxborough...
51 min ago