Police: DNA confirms suspect 'East Coast Rapist'
NEW HAVEN, Conn. (AP) -March 5, 2011 (WPVI) -- New Haven police say DNA confirmed that a man arrested Friday in Connecticut is the East Coast Rapist suspected of terrorizing women with sexual assaults from Virginia to Rhode Island over 12 years.
Lt. Julie Johnson said DNA was collected and subsequently matched by the state police forensic lab confirming 39-year-old Aaron Thomas was the East Coast Rapist.
Johnson said New Haven police have charged Thomas with first-degree sexual assault and risk of injury to a minor and he was being held on $1 million bond. Authorities in Prince William County, Virginia, are charging him with being a fugitive from justice as well as rape and abduction charges.
The East Coast Rapist is wanted for 17 rapes and other attacks in Connecticut, Maryland, Rhode Island and Virginia.
rape, connecticut, maryland, rhode island, virginia, national/world
- Mom of Tasered teen arrested for shoplifting
- Finally, a nice weekend!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Oil slicks found in hunt for missing Malaysian jet
- Police: Deadly shooting at after-hours bar 26 min ago
- Woman trapped after crashing SUV in Darby Boro
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Pedestrian ID'd in fatal Collingdale hit-and-run
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- UPenn's Foal Cam gives LIVE view into horse's birth
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Police: Deadly shooting at after-hours bar
26 min ago
More 6abc.com resources
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos