'Race against the clock' at Japan nuclear plant
TOKYO (AP) - March 18, 2011 (WPVI) -- Military fire trucks have been spraying the reactor units at a damaged Japanese nuclear plant for a second day. Tons of water has been sprayed over the facility, as part of the effort to keep reactor fuel from overheating and sending out dangerous levels of radiation.
The head of the U.N.'s International Atomic Energy Agency, who's visiting Japan, says crews are "racing against the clock."
The Japanese government is conceding it was unprepared for a disaster of that scale and was slow to respond. The prime minister is vowing to "rebuild Japan from scratch." He says the disasters have brought a "great test for the Japanese people."
The government is now welcoming U.S. help as it tries to stabilize its overheated, radiation-leaking nuclear complex. It's also raised the severity classification for the nuclear crisis, putting it on a par with the 1979 Three Mile Island accident.
Along the coastline today, sirens wailed to mark one week since the disasters that triggered a nuclear emergency.
There are indications that traces of radiation from Japan have made their way to California, but U.S. government experts insist there's no threat to the American public. They say they're monitoring radiation levels closely.
For emergency information, assistance, and locating family in connection with earthquake in Japan: http://www.facebook.com/l/6b2e3a9CLMNbUwBsOw1jOL8d5aw/www.jhelp.com
Phone numbers in US and Japan:
202 559 4683
800 373 1110
0570 000 911
011 81 90 7170 4769
011 81 90 3080 6711
japan, earthquake, tsunami, japan earthquake, national/world
- Iranian teen had stolen passport on missing jet 16 min ago
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Woman shot in bed in South Philadelphia
- Suspicious fire damages home in Camden 21 min ago
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects
- Man,90, dies in Hamilton Township house fire
- Pa. woman born at Burger King seeks birth mom
- Photos: 7 recent child porn arrests in Pa.and Del.
- Photos: Thwarted! 10 suspects caught in the act
- Video: Camden H.S. wrestler wins state championship
- Suspicious fire damages home in Camden
21 min ago
- Dad ditches son's stroller to catch baseball
7 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos