Former Haitian president returns from exile
PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti - March 18, 2011 (WPVI) -- Former President Jean-Bertrand Aristide is getting celebrity treatment following his arrival in Haiti after seven years in exile.
A small crowd of journalists, dignitaries, airport workers and former members of his security team mobbed Aristide as soon as he descended the steps of the small plane that carried him from South Africa on Friday. He waved and blew a kiss to the crowd, but made no statement before entering a VIP lounge inside the airport terminal. His wife, Mildred, wept.
Hundreds of people gathered outside the airport waving flags and photos of Aristide.
- Montco DA: Drug ring targeted schools; 8 arrested 56 min ago
- Sunny today, more clouds tomorrow
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Package prompts evac at Del. National Guard base 14 min ago
- Skydiver in fatal South Jersey accident ID'd
- Photos: Pictures from NJ skydiving accident
- Woman's body found in Pa. excavation storage site 54 min ago
- Medical chopper called to crash on Route 55
- Jogger helps rescue man from Schuylkill River
- Boston Marathon begins under tight security 39 min ago
- Surveillance expected from Target heist
- Teen stowaway survives flight in landing gear
- Photos: Jamie Apody welcomes Baby Chase!