2 men survive avalanche in Colorado backcountry
DILLON, Colo. (AP) - April 1, 2011 (WPVI) -- Two men survived an avalanche Friday in central Colorado's backcountry, including one who was completely buried in snow and used his hand to make an air pocket so he could breathe while awaiting help.
The slide happened near U.S. 6 across from the Arapahoe Basin ski resort, on the Continental Divide. It ran 1,000 feet and carried the men about 400 feet, said Summit County Rescue Group spokesman Jim Koegel.
Skier Nate Purcell, 38, was partially buried and was taken to a hospital with a broken leg, Koegel said. He called for help using a cellphone.
Snowboarder Daniel Ferrari, 42, was uninjured despite being completely buried in the slide and dug out by rescuers, Koegel told KYSL-FM in Dillon. Ferrari told rescuers he also bounced off some trees.
He created an air pocket with his hand so he could breathe, and he yelled out to rescuers as he heard them approaching, Koegel said. Koegel added it was a shallow burial.
KUSA-TV in Denver reported the men were found about 30 minutes after the avalanche.
Purcell and Ferrari are both expert backcountry skiers from Summit County who were carrying proper avalanche gear, but they may have started their descent too late in the day, when it was starting to get warm, Koegel said. He said the pair didn't descend until about 11:45 a.m.
The Colorado Avalanche and Information Center says wet, loose avalanches can become more common as temperatures rise.
"Wet slab releases don't go easily like dry, light snow. But when they go, they go big," Koegel said.
colorado, avalanche, national/world
- Mike Schmidt reveals skin cancer battle
- AccuWeather: Tracking light snow tonight
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- NJ state police trooper among 3 injured in crash
- Malaysian police examine pilot's flight simulator
- Police: Driver, who hit pedestrian, hit by car 1 min ago
- Police: Man strikes own brother in hit and run
- Berks County man stabbed to death in Bahamas 51 min ago
- 1 wounded in Lakewood drive-by shooting 25 min ago
- 2 men, sitting in SUV, shot in Chester
- 2 women injured in Overbrook fire
- Crimea votes on Ukraine secession
- Book 'em! Wilmington cop donates books to kids
- Police: Driver, who hit pedestrian, hit by...
1 min ago