Blasts rock Yemen factory overtaken by militants
SANAA, Yemen - March 28, 2011 (WPVI) -- A local resident says multiple explosions have been heard from inside a weapons factory that has been overtaken by Islamic militants in a southern Yemen province.
The resident says the blasts can be heard as far as 10 miles (15 kilometers) from the factory in southern Abyan. It's unclear if the explosions are accidental or intentional.
The factory in Khanfar area close to Jaar city makes munition and Kalashnikov rifles.
Resident Seif Mohammed says several ambulances have been bringing the injured to al-Razi hospital in Jaar on Monday.
The factory was seized on Sunday by a Salafi Jihad militant group, one of many roaming mostly lawless Yemen. The group is not an al-Qaida offshoot.
Yemen has been rocked by weeks of political turmoil and deteriorating security.
yemen, explosion, revolt, revolution, national/world
- AG: 29 New Jersey bars swapped top-shelf liquor 25 min ago
- Very unsettled Thursday 54 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Faith-healing couple charged in son's death
- Names of 16 Okla. tornado victims released
- Video shows assault rifle shooting at strip club
- Skippack student may have 'voluntarily' vanished
- Philadelphia cop accused of ripping off drug dealers 27 min ago
- 1 dead, 2 injured in 'barbaric' London attack
- SEPTA police chief using Twitter to fight crime
- Police ID victim in water ice stand homicide
- Hats get women ejected from KoP Mall
- Rob Jennings to retire after 36 Years at 6abc