Blasts rock Yemen factory overtaken by militants
SANAA, Yemen - March 28, 2011 (WPVI) -- A local resident says multiple explosions have been heard from inside a weapons factory that has been overtaken by Islamic militants in a southern Yemen province.
The resident says the blasts can be heard as far as 10 miles (15 kilometers) from the factory in southern Abyan. It's unclear if the explosions are accidental or intentional.
The factory in Khanfar area close to Jaar city makes munition and Kalashnikov rifles.
Resident Seif Mohammed says several ambulances have been bringing the injured to al-Razi hospital in Jaar on Monday.
The factory was seized on Sunday by a Salafi Jihad militant group, one of many roaming mostly lawless Yemen. The group is not an al-Qaida offshoot.
Yemen has been rocked by weeks of political turmoil and deteriorating security.
yemen, explosion, revolt, revolution, national/world
- AccuWeather is Tracking More Snow 22 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Roy Halladay retiring as a Blue Jay 8 min ago
- Big storm dumps snow on East Coast 6 min ago
- US Airways, American merger complete 11 min ago
- Princeton begins meningitis B vaccinations 25 min ago
- Obama heading to South Africa 1 min ago
- Transformer fire sparks SEPTA delays
- Police: Man wasn't at casino before being shot 28 min ago
- 1 dead, 50+ vehicles involved in Pa. Turnpike crashes
- Man dressed as Santa struck, killed on I-95
- Photos: Pictures from Paul Walker memorial rally
- AccuWeather is Tracking More Snow
22 min ago
- Police: Man wasn't at casino before being...
28 min ago