1 dead, 10 hurt when Miss. school bus, semi crash
JACKSON, Miss. - April 1, 2011 (WPVI) -- A student is dead and at least 10 people were injured in the crash of a school bus and a tractor trailer on a rural Mississippi highway.
Mississippi Department of Public Safety spokesman Jon Kalahar confirmed a student died in the accident about 7:20 a.m. Friday, but he didn't know the student's age. He said at least 10 people were hurt, but it wasn't immediately clear if those were all students.
The accident happened at the intersection of Mississippi Highway 450 and U.S. Highway 61 in southern Bolivar County.
The Shaw School District said the bus was one of theirs, carrying students ranging from kindergarten through high school.
The Bolivar Commercial newspaper has pictures of both vehicles that showed the vehicles flipped over and landed on their sides.
mississippi, accident, school bus, national/world
- Over 75 injured in partial London theater collapse
- Record Weekend Warmth
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's
- Steps you can take to reduce fraud risk
- 1 dead after car plunges into lake in Vineland
- Is heroin addiction as close as your medicine cabinet?
- Philadelphia Police search for missing 2-year-old boy
- Attempted child luring in Newtown, Bucks County
- Holiday tips, cards stolen in East Pikeland Twp.
- Pastor defrocked after performing son's gay wedding
- 50 coworkers in Del. to split $1M Mega Millions ticket
- Bring old clothes to new H&M for savings
More 6abc.com resources
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos