NY officials say latest phase of beach search ends
OAK BEACH, N.Y. (AP) - April 7, 2011 (WPVI) -- Authorities looking for victims of a possible serial killer are wrapping up an intensive search of a seven-mile stretch along a remote New York beach highway.
Eight sets of human remains have been found since December, including four bodies since last week.
Suffolk County officials say the latest four-day search along Ocean Parkway is ending. Investigators in neighboring Nassau County have announced plans to scour the portion of the highway in their jurisdiction.
Detectives suspect a serial killer may be responsible for the deaths of four prostitutes found in December. But they have yet to link the most recent four sets of remains to that case or identify them. All the bodies were found within three miles of each other on the parkway, which leads to the popular Jones Beach.
new york, serial killer, homicide, national/world
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry Hill Mall 19 min ago
- Milder Monday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Victim shot 7 times in Kensington 51 min ago
- 1 dead, 1 injured in Winslow Twp. crash 19 min ago
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown 19 min ago
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90
- 2 wounded in daytime shooting in Trenton
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door
- 2 dozen injured as California school stage falls 19 min ago
- Del. worker hospitalized after pretzel factory accident
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry...
19 min ago
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown
19 min ago