BP sues rig owner for $40B; blames it for disaster
NEW ORLEANS (AP) - April 20, 2011 (WPVI) -- BP is suing Transocean for at least $40 billion in damages, accusing the rig owner of causing last year's deadly blowout in the Gulf of Mexico that led to the worst offshore oil spill in U.S. history.
The British oil giant also is suing the maker of the device that failed to stop the calamitous oil spill.
The developments came in separate court filings in federal court in New Orleans on Wednesday, the one-year anniversary of the disaster.
BP says every single safety system and device and well control procedure on the Deepwater Horizon rig failed. It also says Cameron International provided a blowout preventer with a faulty design
Eleven people were killed when the rig exploded on April 20, 2010, leading to more than 200 million gallons of oil spewing from an undersea well.
bp, oil spill, national/world
- 7-alarm fire destroys homes in Sea Isle City
- Egg-cellent holiday weekend
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Police: Store owner victimizes teens with Taser 6 min ago
- Authorities searching Delaware River for boater
- Photos: Pictures of out-of-control boat on the Del....
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Teen suspended for asking Miss America to prom
- 76ers owner Harris calls 19-win season 'success'
- Search continues for robbers in armored car heist
- Bride gets help after banquet closes
- Worth the wait: Easter treats in Philadelphia
- Miley Cyrus still hospitalized, postpones Philly show