Activist sues Sarah Palin for $100K over traffic
JUNEAU, Alaska (AP) -April 30, 2011 (WPVI) -- An activist is suing Sarah Palin for at least $100,000, claiming she undertook a campaign to "punish, embarrass, discredit and silence" him while she was Alaska's governor.
The lawsuit was filed in state court by Chip Thoma and first reported by TMZ.com.
Palin's attorney, John Tiemessen, called the complaint frivolous and said it was filed "merely for the purpose of harassment."
"The governor's actions and statements regarding this matter are a matter of public record and governed by the long standing doctrine of executive immunity from tort claims," he said in an email late Friday. "Like all of the other harassing complaints against the governor, we anticipate that Mr. Thoma's will be quickly and summarily dismissed."
The matter dates to 2009, after Palin returned to Juneau and the governor's office from her failed vice presidential bid.
Thoma's attorney, James McGowan, said Thoma complained about tour bus traffic on the narrow, windy streets around the governor's mansion. McGowan said Thoma, whom he described as a "Palin fan" at the time, sent tour operators fliers to try to encourage them to change the routes. He said Thoma also helped neighbors create yard signs against what Thoma considered the noise, pollution and congestion caused by the buses.
McGowan said Palin twisted Thoma's actions to make it seem like he had engaged in "some unsavory and lunatic" campaign against the Palins.
The complaint is based in part on a leaked draft manuscript of an aide of Palin's at that time.
sarah palin, lawsuit, alaska, national/world
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death 45 min ago
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday 27 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Reward offered in Collingdale hit-and-run
- Turnpike officials: Road plowed, salted before pileup 40 min ago
- Malaysian military says missing jet changed course 32 min ago
- 6 students hurt in Camden Co. school bus crash
- 2nd suspect sought in finger-biting attack
- Woman shot in bed in South Philadelphia 36 min ago
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police 25 min ago
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday
27 min ago
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's...
45 min ago
- Suspicious fire damages home in Camden
42 min ago