Activist sues Sarah Palin for $100K over traffic
JUNEAU, Alaska (AP) -April 30, 2011 (WPVI) -- An activist is suing Sarah Palin for at least $100,000, claiming she undertook a campaign to "punish, embarrass, discredit and silence" him while she was Alaska's governor.
The lawsuit was filed in state court by Chip Thoma and first reported by TMZ.com.
Palin's attorney, John Tiemessen, called the complaint frivolous and said it was filed "merely for the purpose of harassment."
"The governor's actions and statements regarding this matter are a matter of public record and governed by the long standing doctrine of executive immunity from tort claims," he said in an email late Friday. "Like all of the other harassing complaints against the governor, we anticipate that Mr. Thoma's will be quickly and summarily dismissed."
The matter dates to 2009, after Palin returned to Juneau and the governor's office from her failed vice presidential bid.
Thoma's attorney, James McGowan, said Thoma complained about tour bus traffic on the narrow, windy streets around the governor's mansion. McGowan said Thoma, whom he described as a "Palin fan" at the time, sent tour operators fliers to try to encourage them to change the routes. He said Thoma also helped neighbors create yard signs against what Thoma considered the noise, pollution and congestion caused by the buses.
McGowan said Palin twisted Thoma's actions to make it seem like he had engaged in "some unsavory and lunatic" campaign against the Palins.
The complaint is based in part on a leaked draft manuscript of an aide of Palin's at that time.
sarah palin, lawsuit, alaska, national/world
- New sighting reported of missing student's car 50 min ago
- Mostly cloudy, humid today
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Disabled veteran robbed, beaten in home invasion 12 min ago
- 51-year-old man shot and killed in Kensington
- Victim ID'd in Deptford Township arson 6 min ago
- Tornado-hit states brace for more bad storms 11 min ago
- 2 alarm apartment fire in Washington Township
- Tracking down criminals with family DNA testing
- 15 motorcyclists arrested in NJ Turnpike chase
- Teen killed over iPad, 2 suspects arrested
- Bear spotted in Bensalem, Bucks County
- Sea Lion Worried About Little Girl 51 min ago
- Disabled veteran robbed, beaten in home...
12 min ago
- New sighting reported of missing student's...
50 min ago
More 6abc.com resources
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos