Ex-IMF chief gets bail in NYC sex-assault case
NEW YORK (AP) - May 19, 2011 (WPVI) -- Former International Monetary Fund leader Dominique Strauss-Kahn will return to a New York City jail pending his release on bail.
Strauss-Kahn is charged with trying to rape a hotel maid and is likely to spend one more night at Rikers Island jail.
A judge set bail at $1 million Thursday, and approved an elaborate arrangement under which the 62-year-old diplomat and banker would be confined to a private apartment in Manhattan and monitored by armed guards.
Strauss-Kahn will also have to take out a $5 million insurance bond.
Prosecutors have said he should remain behind bars.
Strauss-Kahn resigned his IMF post late Wednesday.
new york, sex assault, national/world
- Iranian teen had stolen passport on missing jet 5 min ago
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Woman shot in bed in South Philadelphia
- Suspicious fire damages home in Camden 1 min ago
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects
- Man,90, dies in Hamilton Township house fire
- Pa. woman born at Burger King seeks birth mom
- Photos: 7 recent child porn arrests in Pa.and Del.
- Photos: Thwarted! 10 suspects caught in the act
- Video: Camden H.S. wrestler wins state championship
- Suspicious fire damages home in Camden
1 min ago
- Dad ditches son's stroller to catch baseball
1 min ago
More 6abc.com resources
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos