Passenger jet makes emergency landing in Israel
JERUSALEM (AP) - May 22, 2011 (WPVI) -- Israeli rescue services say an El Al jet with 260 passengers and crippled landing gear has safely made an emergency landing at Israel's international airport.
Rescue services spokesman Zaki Heller says the jet made a successful landing at dawn Monday as dozens of medical crews stood by and local hospitals were put on alert.
Earlier, media reported that the Boeing 777 had been en route to Newark, New Jersey, when the problem was discovered and it was forced to turn back. The jet dumped its fuel into the Mediterranean in preparation for the landing.
Heller said more than 70 rescue crews were waiting at the airport outside Tel Aviv, where a state of emergency had been declared.
israel, new jersey, emergency landing, national/world
- Suspects sought in carjacking, abduction
- AccuWeather: Tracking a Wintry Weekend 31 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Pedestrian struck, killed on Broad Street
- 4 shot outside Del. club after Meek Mill performance
- Police: Pa. newlyweds killed man from Craigslist
- Cab driver shot outside N. Phila. after-hours club 56 min ago
- Teacher says he was fired because he is gay
- Pearl Harbor ceremonies marks bombing anniversary
- Campbell Soup apologizes for SpaghettiOs Pearl Harbor tweet
- Man critically injured in Camden County crash
- Temple University cuts 7 intercollegiate sports
- 2nd suspect surrenders in Christmas package theft
- Cab driver shot outside N. Phila....
56 min ago
- AccuWeather: Tracking a Wintry Weekend
31 min ago