Passenger jet makes emergency landing in Israel
JERUSALEM (AP) - May 22, 2011 (WPVI) -- Israeli rescue services say an El Al jet with 260 passengers and crippled landing gear has safely made an emergency landing at Israel's international airport.
Rescue services spokesman Zaki Heller says the jet made a successful landing at dawn Monday as dozens of medical crews stood by and local hospitals were put on alert.
Earlier, media reported that the Boeing 777 had been en route to Newark, New Jersey, when the problem was discovered and it was forced to turn back. The jet dumped its fuel into the Mediterranean in preparation for the landing.
Heller said more than 70 rescue crews were waiting at the airport outside Tel Aviv, where a state of emergency had been declared.
israel, new jersey, emergency landing, national/world
- Skydiver in fatal South Jersey accident ID'd
- Sunny today, more clouds tomorrow
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- I-95 reopens after car catches fire
- Person of interest ID'd in Collingdale hit-and-run
- Residents displaced after West Philadelphia fire
- Surveillance expected from Target heist 52 min ago
- 4 injured in Route 295 crash
- Camden teen reported missing
- Miss America: Don't suspend teen over prom invite
- Oscar Mayer hot dogs recalled due to misbranding 19 min ago
- Photos: Jamie Apody welcomes Baby Chase!
- Video: Beating turns dropout into genius 56 min ago
- Surveillance expected from Target heist
52 min ago