AP source: Edwards could be indicted within days
RALEIGH, N.C. - May 25, 2011 (WPVI) -- A person familiar with a federal investigation into John Edwards' political dealings says prosecutors have completed their probe of the two-time presidential candidate and could indict him within days.
The person also told The Associated Press on Wednesday that Edwards could strike a plea deal. The person spoke on condition of anonymity because of the case's sensitivity.
The U.S. attorney in Raleigh declined to comment. An Edwards spokeswoman did not immediately return a message seeking comment Wednesday.
Federal investigators have been looking into Edwards' dealings for more than two years. They have focused largely on donations that eventually went to keep mistress Rielle Hunter and an aide in hiding.
Attorneys for Edwards have said they are confident he did not violate campaign finance laws.
Baker reported from Olympia, Wash.
john edwards, north carolina, national/world
- More Snow on the Way
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Photos: Winter storm forecast maps
- Arrest made in Beats headphone murder
- 2 arrested for violent Center City attack
- Thief steals $17K from Philadelphia charter school
- 2 PSU students charged with ethnic intimidation
- Teen shot and killed in Wilmington
- 2K get meningitis B vaccinations at Princeton
- US Airways, American merger complete
- Rachael Ray's cookbook competition
- Video: Woman finds, returns envelope full of cash