Forensic expert testifies in Anthony murder trial
ORLANDO, Fla. - June 3, 2011 (WPVI) -- An FBI forensic expert says a hair removed from the trunk of Casey Anthony's car is consistent with hair from a dead body.
Karen Korsberg Lowe testified Saturday in Anthony's murder trial. The Florida mother is accused of killing her 2-year-old daughter, Caylee.
Lowe says she examined a light-brown, 9-inch-long hair for this case. She says the hair was similar to one pulled from Caylee's brush and was not similar to a hair sample from Casey Anthony.
She also says the hair showed characteristics consistent with decomposition.
Anthony is charged with first-degree murder. Prosecutors say the girl was suffocated after duct tape was placed over her mouth.
The defense contends she accidently drowned in her grandparents' swimming pool. Anthony's attorney challenged Lowe's qualifications as an expert in microscopic hair examinations.If convicted, Anthony could be sentenced to death. She has pleaded not guilty. Her defense attorney says Caylee died in an accidental drowning in the family's swimming pool. The prosecution says the child was suffocated after duct tape was placed over her mouth.
Prosecutors say they expect to reach the halfway point of their case on Saturday.
casey anthony, trial, homicide, orlando, florida, child death, national/world
- 2 dead after truck and car collide in Mercer County 44 min ago
- Very cold today, Saturday storm 1 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Suspicious package found outside Planet Fitness in Olney 18 min ago
- Suspects tie up 71-year-old in home invasion
- Worker shocked by electrical cable in East Falls
- Bandit holds up TD Bank in Chestnut Hill
- Dump truck hits ATV pulling sled, boy killed
- American University campus lockdown lifted
- Fake deaf interpreter crashes Mandela memorial
- Woman charged in boyfriend's heroin death
- Narcotic officers raid Lacey High School
- Video: Cover Story: Can Foles break jinx?
- 2 dead after truck and car collide in...
44 min ago