Wedding plans bloom as NY legalizes gay marriage
NEW YORK (AP) - June 25, 2011 (WPVI) -- Wedding plans are blooming amid celebrations by gay rights advocates of New York becoming the sixth state to legalize same-sex marriage.
Couples who had talked about going out of state to wed changed their plans. Wedding planners anticipated picking up business.
Churches that accept gay unions say they're looking forward to hosting ceremonies.
Gov. Andrew Cuomo signed a bill late Friday that makes New York the sixth state to legalize gay marriage.
The Rev. Joseph Tolton is a minister at the Rehoboth Temple Christ Conscious Church in Harlem. He said Saturday that he expects to be busy performing ceremonies after the law takes effect next month.
The Pentecostal church has a large gay congregation.
new york, gay marriage, national/world
- Malaysian leader: plane's disappearance deliberate
- Breezy And Mild!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2 couples robbed at gunpoint in North Philly
- Fire forces 11 people from their homes 57 min ago
- Renovation competitors fight at Phila. fire scenes
- Moving day for Oak Lane Garden residents
- SEPTA union agrees to delay strike
- 1 critical after being shot multiple times in Wilmington
- 100 plus weight loss journey to healthy living
- Boyd Theatre to be demolished, rebuilt
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
More 6abc.com resources
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos