FBI: Bulger tipster saw recent campaign commercial
BOSTON (AP) - June 25, 2011 (WPVI) -- The FBI says a tipster who led federal agents to the California home to Boston mob boss James "Whitey" Bulger and his longtime girlfriend recognized the couple from a recent TV campaign.
FBI spokesman Greg Comcowich says the tipster called the FBI after she saw the recent commercials that asks people, particularly women, to be on the lookout for Greig.
The commercial says that Bulger's girlfriend, Catherine Greig (greeg), had several plastic surgeries before going on the lam and was known to frequent beauty salons. The 30-second ad ran this week in 14 television markets.
Comcowich says the FBI won't disclose the tipster's identity or say where the tipster called from.
The 81-year-old Bulger is wanted for numerous crimes, including 19 murders. He appeared in a Boston federal court Friday.
boston, fbi, national/world
- Screaming man attacks police district, cars with bat 1 min ago
- AccuWeather: Thunderstorms possible today 1 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Standoff leaves 1 dead, several in custody
- 2 men shot inside Feltonville bar
- 3 hit by car inside Famous Footwear in Chesco
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to death
- Cat found hanging from fence in Germantown
- India asked to join hunt for missing plane 26 min ago
- Couple attacked by cat say they'll get it help
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm 13 min ago
- Photos: Philly's unsolved missing child cases
- India asked to join hunt for missing plane
26 min ago