FBI: Bulger tipster saw recent campaign commercial
BOSTON (AP) - June 25, 2011 (WPVI) -- The FBI says a tipster who led federal agents to the California home to Boston mob boss James "Whitey" Bulger and his longtime girlfriend recognized the couple from a recent TV campaign.
FBI spokesman Greg Comcowich says the tipster called the FBI after she saw the recent commercials that asks people, particularly women, to be on the lookout for Greig.
The commercial says that Bulger's girlfriend, Catherine Greig (greeg), had several plastic surgeries before going on the lam and was known to frequent beauty salons. The 30-second ad ran this week in 14 television markets.
Comcowich says the FBI won't disclose the tipster's identity or say where the tipster called from.
The 81-year-old Bulger is wanted for numerous crimes, including 19 murders. He appeared in a Boston federal court Friday.
boston, fbi, national/world
- School Closings & Delays
- Snow walloping Philadelphia area
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Storm brings snowy, icy conditions to Pa., NJ
- 1 dead, 50+ vehicles involved in Pa. Turnpike crashes
- Nearly 1 foot of snow in parts of Delaware
- Video: Snow-lovers sled down Art Museum steps
- Video: Time lapse of snow at the Linc
- Eagles beat Lions 34-20 in the snow
- Video: Phila. students dig out cars stuck in slush
- Video: Widener U. track team helps stuck drivers
- Man dressed as Santa struck, killed on I-95
- Paul Walker memorial in California draws thousands
More 6abc.com resources
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos