FBI: Bulger tipster saw recent campaign commercial
BOSTON (AP) - June 25, 2011 (WPVI) -- The FBI says a tipster who led federal agents to the California home to Boston mob boss James "Whitey" Bulger and his longtime girlfriend recognized the couple from a recent TV campaign.
FBI spokesman Greg Comcowich says the tipster called the FBI after she saw the recent commercials that asks people, particularly women, to be on the lookout for Greig.
The commercial says that Bulger's girlfriend, Catherine Greig (greeg), had several plastic surgeries before going on the lam and was known to frequent beauty salons. The 30-second ad ran this week in 14 television markets.
Comcowich says the FBI won't disclose the tipster's identity or say where the tipster called from.
The 81-year-old Bulger is wanted for numerous crimes, including 19 murders. He appeared in a Boston federal court Friday.
boston, fbi, national/world
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids 22 min ago
- Freeze Warning overnight 20 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Trash truck overturns on Rt. 130 in Pennsauken 51 min ago
- Mom sought after daughter, 11, shot and killed
- All-clear given after Liberty H.S. lockdown 49 min ago
- Voorhees police need help identifying this man
- Burlco man charged in brother's hit-and-run death
- Boy dies after Mayfair drowning incident
- Search for missing teenager in Camden
- Chestnut Hill College student found dead
- Made In America Festival in Philly and LA
- Photos: Royal family kicks off tour of Australia
- Freeze Warning overnight
20 min ago
More 6abc.com resources
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos