La. jailer taken hostage, rescued by SWAT team
NEW IBERIA, La. (AP) - July 9, 2011 (WPVI) -- Louisiana authorities say three jail inmates overpowered a guard, cut and stabbed him with homemade knives, and held him hostage for about 2 ½ hours before a SWAT team broke into the cell and rescued him.
Capt. Ryan P. Turner of the Iberia Parish Sheriff's Office said Saturday night that the incident was over by 8 a.m. Saturday.
He said the deputy, whom he did not identify, was treated and released.
Turner said the inmates were treated for injuries received when they resisted arrest. He said one was awaiting trial and is back in jail. The others are state inmates and were sent to the state prison at Angola.
Turner said the inmates made a number of demands. He wouldn't say what they were, but said they're being investigated.
louisiana, hostage, prison escape, national/world
- ABC News: Possible security breach at Target
- Winter Warm Up
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Police search for suspects in religious store robbery
- Jewelry thieves target Montgomery Co. open houses
- Elderly couple's life savings stolen in Media
- Police: Man shoots self on SEPTA bus
- $6M counterfeit check ring busted in Phila.
- 2 million-dollar tickets sold in NJ, 1 in Del.
- Phil Robertson off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments
- Upper Darby's Chitwood reflects on career
- Video: Soldier returning from Afghanistan...
- Barbara Walters' Most Fascinating Person revealed