Stage falls at Ottawa Bluesfest
OTTAWA (AP) - July 17, 2011 (WPVI) -- The main stage at Ottawa Bluesfest collapsed Sunday night during a Cheap Trick concert as a severe thunderstorm sent the band members and thousands of fans running for cover. At least five people were injured, one seriously.
The members of Cheap Trick got off the stage safely, but witnesses said the musicians were thrown off their feet.
"Everyone is okay and we are so lucky to be alive and hope that all the fans are okay too," the band, best known for hits including "Surrender", "I Want You to Want Me" and "The Flame", said in a message posted on Facebook.
Video of the Bluesfest site posted on YouTube within minutes of the storm's passing showed a stage that had crumpled and collapsed over electronic equipment. Twisted shards of metal jutted out from the stage, which stood several stories tall before it was destroyed.
Jocelyne Turner, a spokeswoman for Ottawa Fire Services, said five people were treated at the site. Three of them were sent to hospitals and one had life-threatening injuries.
The Globe and Mail newspaper of Toronto reported that a 46-year-old man was in serious condition, suffering a pierced abdomen, a fractured pelvis and a fractured leg after he was gored by a piece of the collapsing stage.
Environment Canada had a thunderstorm warning in effect for Ottawa, saying winds were expected to reach 56 mph (90 kph).
Bluesfest is one of North America's main musical events. The festival first took place in 1994 and has since grown from a one-stage, three-day event to a multi-staged, 12-day music showcase featuring some of the best international talent.
- Photos: Recent prostitution arrests in Philadelphia
- Clouds to sun, cool today 38 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police 24 min ago
- Vice principal commits suicide after ferry accident 45 min ago
- Popular chocolate maker reopens in time for Easter 53 min ago
- Montco hall closes weeks before bride's wedding
- Search continues for robbers in armored car heist 56 min ago
- Penn State police: 3 posed nude at Nittany shrine
- Stalkers have QVC host living in fear
- McNabb serves 1-day sentence after DUI arrest
- 13 pound baby born at Delco hospital
- Video: Hero twins yell, hit carjacker to escape
- Driver killed in collision with taxi cab in...
49 min ago
- Firefighters battle 3-alarm blaze in...
46 min ago