Popular Kauai swimming hole gets deadly reputation
LIHUE, Hawaii - July 20, 2011 (WPVI) -- A Kauai swimming hole hailed by travel guidebooks as a "glorious little hidden place" has lately been getting attention for being deadly after five men have drowned at the spot in five years.
In most of the cases, the swimmer jumped off the top of the waterfall into a pool of water about 20 feet below. The men surfaced only to sink beneath the surface, often while attempting to swim to the side.
The Kipu Falls deaths have given rise to speculation about whether there's a powerful whirlpool current in the swimming hole or even an angry spirit that's dragging people down.
The Kauai Visitors Bureau is urging guidebooks to remove all references to the place and encouraging hotel concierges and tour operators to steer people away from the area.
- Multi-vehicle crash closes EB Pa. Turnpike
- Temps Soar
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Volleyball coach accused sex with student 19 min ago
- Shots fired at home in Lower Gwynedd 36 min ago
- 2 men sought in Deptford Twp. hotel robbery
- Quick moving blaze damages house in West Philly
- Car plunges into lake in Vineland, victims ID'd
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's
- Philippine mayor among 4 killed at Manila airport
- Is heroin addiction as close as your medicine cabinet?
- Photos: Pictures of the Pa. Turnpike crash
- Woman's secret Santa turns out to be Bill Gates
- Temps Soar