Shark bite injures girl off North Carolina coast
OCRACOKE, N.C. (AP) - July 20, 2011 (WPVI) -- The family of a 6-year-old girl bitten by a shark in North Carolina says the child is in good condition.
A statement from the parents issued by Pitt County Memorial Hospital said the girl's mother was 10 feet away and witnessed the attack. The statement said the girl is in good spirits and commented: "I hate sharks. I like dolphins way better. "
Hyde County officials said Wednesday that the child was bitten on her lower right leg and foot a day earlier while playing in 18 inches of water on Ocracoke Island.
Authorities say bystanders reported a black-finned shark attacking the girl.
Earlier in the day, a National Park Service spokeswoman told WNCT-TV the child was in critical condition..
north carolina, shark attack, national/world
- This is now Philly's 2nd snowiest winter 24 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Sign up for Facebook Flash!
- Photos: LATEST MAPS: 6+" in parts of NJ 37 min ago
- Co-pilot spoke missing plane's last words
- Earthquake strongly felt across Los Angeles 22 min ago
- Video: Annie McCormick: Snow in Atlantic City
- Video: Katherine Scott: Snow in Delaware
- Woman, 98, injured in Powelton high-rise fire
- Police: Driver, who hit pedestrian, hit by car
- Delaware man suspected in 14 different thefts
- Photos: Suspects in Pa. 'street-level' drug sweep
- NJ salon customer allegedly attacks employees
- This is now Philly's 2nd snowiest winter
24 min ago