Shark bite injures girl off North Carolina coast
OCRACOKE, N.C. (AP) - July 20, 2011 (WPVI) -- The family of a 6-year-old girl bitten by a shark in North Carolina says the child is in good condition.
A statement from the parents issued by Pitt County Memorial Hospital said the girl's mother was 10 feet away and witnessed the attack. The statement said the girl is in good spirits and commented: "I hate sharks. I like dolphins way better. "
Hyde County officials said Wednesday that the child was bitten on her lower right leg and foot a day earlier while playing in 18 inches of water on Ocracoke Island.
Authorities say bystanders reported a black-finned shark attacking the girl.
Earlier in the day, a National Park Service spokeswoman told WNCT-TV the child was in critical condition..
north carolina, shark attack, national/world
- More Snow on the Way
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Photos: Winter storm forecast maps
- 2 arrested for violent Center City attack
- Thief steals $17K from Philadelphia charter school
- Arrest in S. Phila. Christmas decoration theft
- Princeton begins meningitis B vaccinations
- ID released of man killed on Pa. Turnpike
- Man who bought guns for teen sentenced
- US Airways, American merger complete
- Study: Child an hour injured on high chairs
- Rachael Ray's cookbook competition