Police: 4 die in Colorado Springs shootings
COLORADO SPRINGS. Colo - July 28, 2011 (WPVI) -- A series of shootings in Colorado Springs has left four people dead and two injured, police said.
The three bursts of gunfire Wednesday night were unrelated and occurred in different areas of the city, police Sgt. David Edmondson said.
The heaviest toll came near Montebello and Mira Loma Circle in central Colorado Springs, leaving three men dead, the officer said in a news release.
When police arrived to investigate a report of shots fired, they found two men dead and one wounded, Edmondson said. The injured man later died at a hospital.
Details on all the shootings were still sketchy early Thursday and it wasn't clear what touched them off.
Earlier in the evening, one man was killed and another person wounded at an AutoZone store in the eastern part of town.
Edmondson said police responded to a report of shots being fired and found a man lying dead in the parking lot and another person wounded inside the story.
The suspect involved in the shooting remains at large after carjacking a vehicle and taking a man hostage, later releasing him unharmed.
In yet another shooting Wednesday night, Edmondson said police officers wounded a 21-year-old man who had a handgun.
He said the shooting came after the man fled from police and took refuge in an apartment building. But the statement didn't provide details on what prompted the shooting.
A call to police for further details was not immediately returned.
colorado, guns, police, national/world
- Shots fired into a Philadelphia firehouse
- AccuWeather: Friday Clouds and SE Rain
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 3 Phila. schools closed Friday, staff relocated
- How to safeguard your computer against kidnappers
- Retired Philly cop charged with assaulting teen
- Police: Gloucester Co. woman's death a homicide
- Police search for missing Philadelphia couple
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Resident return to assess damage from Ewing explosion
- K9 unit leads police to burglary suspect in Medford
- Obama says Crimea separation would violate law
- Upper Darby cop charged with DUI in hit-and-run