6 dead, 1 arrested in knife attack on British isle
LONDON - August 14, 2011 (WPVI) -- A 30-year-old man was arrested Sunday on suspicion of fatally stabbing six people, including two young children, on the British island of Jersey, police said.
Neighbors said the mass killing, inside an apartment in the capital of St. Helier, involved members of the same family.
Five were declared dead at the scene while a sixth person died while undergoing emergency surgery at Jersey Hospital, police said. They said the victims were two men, two women and two young children. They said the murder suspect also sustained unspecified injuries that were not life-threatening.
Police said the victims were Jersey residents. Some neighbors said they thought at least some of the victims were Polish.
One witness, Andre Thorpe, said he saw police running around the property trying to gain access, then paramedics carrying a bloodied child from the scene.
Jersey's head of crime services Stewart Gull, who is leading the investigation, said detectives haven't established the circumstances of the attack.
"Clearly this complex investigation is in its very early stages as we try to establish exactly what happened," Gull said.
Violent crime is rare on Jersey, a British island dependency about 15 miles (20 kilometers) off the west coast of France's Normandy peninsula.
united kingdom, stabbing, homicide, national/world
- Over 75 injured in partial London theater collapse
- Record Weekend Warmth
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's
- Steps you can take to reduce fraud risk
- 1 dead after car plunges into lake in Vineland
- Is heroin addiction as close as your medicine cabinet?
- Philadelphia Police search for missing 2-year-old boy
- Attempted child luring in Newtown, Bucks County
- Holiday tips, cards stolen in East Pikeland Twp.
- Pastor defrocked after performing son's gay wedding
- 50 coworkers in Del. to split $1M Mega Millions ticket
- Bring old clothes to new H&M for savings
More 6abc.com resources
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos