Ivory Coast to disarm, demobilize 10,000 fighters
ABIDJAN, Ivory Coast - August 17, 2011 (WPVI) -- A minister in Ivory Coast says the government plans to disarm and demobilize some 10,000 fighters in the wake of postelection violence earlier this year.
Minister of Defense Paul Koffi Koffi said Tuesday that the process should be completed by the end of the year and will increase security in the West African country.
People across Ivory Coast took up arms and battled during the six months of postelection violence sparked by strongman Laurent Gbagbo's refusal to cede power after losing a November poll. Gbagbo was arrested in April by forces loyal to President Alassane Ouattara.
- Pizza delivery man shot in Overbrook
- Foggy, cloudy, mild today
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Missing Phila. boy hit by car in Upper Darby 15 min ago
- Philadelphia police officer's stolen SUV found 33 min ago
- Chester Co. firefighters called to Md. pet shop fire
- Coffins unearthed at North Philly school
- Attack in Center City caught on camera
- Police: Threat to father used in phone scam
- No jackets for North Philadelphia cheer squad
- Prosecutor: Sex investigation of FSU QB over
- Video: Topless woman chases peeper from Kohl's
- Video: First dog knocks down toddler at White House