Guard positioning troops in Va for storm help
RICHMOND, Va. (AP) - August 27, 2011 (WPVI) -- The National Guard Bureau is positioning troops in Virginia to provide assistance in the state and other states after Hurricane Irene passes.
If needed, the Virginia National Guard says the troops and equipment could be deployed in Virginia, Maryland, Delaware, New Jersey or Washington, D.C.
South Carolina National Guard members are coming to Sandston to help position aviation equipment. Tennessee National Guard troops are on alert and could come to Virginia on Sunday to provide help across the region.
About 325 Virginia National Guard troops are staged at Guard facilities in Bowling Green, Emporia and Sandston. They have also joined Virginia State Police near Onancock on the Eastern Shore.
Anticipated missions include high water transport and recovery, light debris removal and route clearance.
hurricanes and tropical storms, national guard, virginia, national/world
- Temple University cuts 7 intercollegiate sports
- Periods of rain today, getting cooler
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Victim ID'd in deadly Wilmington hit-and-run 30 min ago
- Video released in pizza delivery driver shooting 49 min ago
- Female suspect arrested in Christmas package theft 8 min ago
- Would-be robber stabbed; suspect's mom talks
- Funeral for Nelson Mandela to be held Dec. 15th
- Center City rape victim speaks to Action News
- Elkins Park sisters treated at KoP by Make-a-Wish 29 min ago
- Area medical schools use 'Jeopardy' as learning tool 13 min ago
- Photos: East Passyunk Avenue Tree Lighting Party
- Victim ID'd in deadly Wilmington hit-and-run
30 min ago
- Female suspect arrested in Christmas...
8 min ago