Guard positioning troops in Va for storm help
RICHMOND, Va. (AP) - August 27, 2011 (WPVI) -- The National Guard Bureau is positioning troops in Virginia to provide assistance in the state and other states after Hurricane Irene passes.
If needed, the Virginia National Guard says the troops and equipment could be deployed in Virginia, Maryland, Delaware, New Jersey or Washington, D.C.
South Carolina National Guard members are coming to Sandston to help position aviation equipment. Tennessee National Guard troops are on alert and could come to Virginia on Sunday to provide help across the region.
About 325 Virginia National Guard troops are staged at Guard facilities in Bowling Green, Emporia and Sandston. They have also joined Virginia State Police near Onancock on the Eastern Shore.
Anticipated missions include high water transport and recovery, light debris removal and route clearance.
hurricanes and tropical storms, national guard, virginia, national/world
- Fmr. Chester Co. teacher faces child porn charges 8 min ago
- Mostly sunny, very windy today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Eye doc grew pot in Delco home, police say 2 min ago
- Apparent misunderstanding in police shooting 24 min ago
- Detectives serve warrants at Chester police station
- New 'object of interest' in missing jet hunt
- 3 shot during funeral at Trenton church
- Photo released of anti-Semetic vandalism suspect 13 min ago
- 6abc viewer helps police nab $18K jewelry suspect
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Video: Video gamer is the victim of SWATting hoax
- What would you ask Mayor Nutter?
- Apparent misunderstanding in police shooting
24 min ago
More 6abc.com resources
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos