Irene ranks among PECO's most damaging storms
PHILADELPHIA - August 29, 2011 (WPVI) -- After almost two days in the dark, weary homeowners were glad to see PECO crews in the neighborhood.
"No phone, no power, and we have a big mess that we're trying to clean up," Pat Boyer of Haverford, Pa.
Half a million PECO customers were cut off by Hurricane Irene.
PECO says 90 percent of them will be back on line by late Wednesday and the rest should be restored by the weekend.
PECO has called in reinforcements from as far away as Florida and Chicago.
"We have 4,000 people in the field, we will continue to work around the clock, each and every one of us, until all of the service has been restored," Cathy Engel Menendez of PECO said.
Dozens of roads remain closed as a result of the hurricane.
Crews won't be able to start repairing some lines in Tredyffrin Township until a tree across Old Eagle School Road is removed, probably sometime tomorrow.
Lines are down across roads all over the region.
The roads will remain closed until the damage is repaired.
In the meantime, residents are coping as best they can, anxious to get their power back.
"The fear that it's going to last a long time&it's getting very old, but we're encouraged; we've heard it might just be a couple days," Boyer said.
It wasn't as bad as PECO was expecting, even though Irene now ranks among the utility's top five most damaging storms.
PECO, hurricanes and tropical storms, severe weather, pennsylvania, philadelphia, national/world, david henry
- ABC News: Possible security breach at Target
- Winter Warm Up
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Police search for suspects in religious store robbery
- Jewelry thieves target Montgomery Co. open houses
- Elderly couple's life savings stolen in Media
- Police: Man shoots self on SEPTA bus
- $6M counterfeit check ring busted in Phila.
- 2 million-dollar tickets sold in NJ, 1 in Del.
- Phil Robertson off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments
- Upper Darby's Chitwood reflects on career
- Video: Soldier returning from Afghanistan...
- Barbara Walters' Most Fascinating Person revealed