Irene ranks among PECO's most damaging storms
PHILADELPHIA - August 29, 2011 (WPVI) -- After almost two days in the dark, weary homeowners were glad to see PECO crews in the neighborhood.
"No phone, no power, and we have a big mess that we're trying to clean up," Pat Boyer of Haverford, Pa.
Half a million PECO customers were cut off by Hurricane Irene.
PECO says 90 percent of them will be back on line by late Wednesday and the rest should be restored by the weekend.
PECO has called in reinforcements from as far away as Florida and Chicago.
"We have 4,000 people in the field, we will continue to work around the clock, each and every one of us, until all of the service has been restored," Cathy Engel Menendez of PECO said.
Dozens of roads remain closed as a result of the hurricane.
Crews won't be able to start repairing some lines in Tredyffrin Township until a tree across Old Eagle School Road is removed, probably sometime tomorrow.
Lines are down across roads all over the region.
The roads will remain closed until the damage is repaired.
In the meantime, residents are coping as best they can, anxious to get their power back.
"The fear that it's going to last a long time&it's getting very old, but we're encouraged; we've heard it might just be a couple days," Boyer said.
It wasn't as bad as PECO was expecting, even though Irene now ranks among the utility's top five most damaging storms.
PECO, hurricanes and tropical storms, severe weather, pennsylvania, philadelphia, national/world, david henry
- Deadly shooting near La Salle University 37 min ago
- AccuWeather: Weather Whiplash 35 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Shooting leads to police standoff in Logan 8 min ago
- Pedestrian struck in North Philadelphia 58 min ago
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to death 14 min ago
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death 19 min ago
- Volunteer brutally assaulted outside Lehigh Co. church 25 min ago
- Delco police standoff ends, suspect dead
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm 43 min ago
- Tests confirm toxic chemicals inside Phila. fire station 34 min ago
- Malaysian military: Missing jet changed course 43 min ago
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to...
14 min ago
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's...
19 min ago
- Tests confirm toxic chemicals inside Phila....
34 min ago
- AccuWeather: Weather Whiplash
35 min ago