Formal murder charges for Van der Sloot in Peru
LIMA, Peru - September 1, 2011 (WPVI) -- Peruvian prosecutors have formally charged Joran van der Sloot with first-degree murder in last year's killing of a university student the defendant met at a Lima casino. They are seeking a 30-year jail sentence.
Van der Sloot was widely known before the May 30, 2010 killing of 21-year-old Stephany Flores as the prime suspect in the unresolved 2005 disappearance in Aruba of the American teenager Natalee Holloway.
A lawyer for Flores' family, Edward Alvarez, told The Associated Press he was notified on Thursday that formal charges were filed. He estimated the trial would begin in October.
Prosecutors are also seeking damages of more than $70,000.
joran van der sloot, peru, national/world
- Malaysian leader: plane's disappearance deliberate 17 min ago
- Breezy And Mild!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2 couples robbed at gunpoint in North Philly
- Fire forces 11 people from their homes
- Renovation competitors fight at Phila. fire scenes
- Moving day for Oak Lane Garden residents
- SEPTA union agrees to delay strike
- 1 critical after being shot multiple times in Wilmington
- 100 plus weight loss journey to healthy living
- Boyd Theatre to be demolished, rebuilt
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Malaysian leader: plane's disappearance...
17 min ago
More 6abc.com resources
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos