Tsunami warning canceled after Alaska earthquake
ANCHORAGE, Alaska - September 2, 2011 (WPVI) -- A tsunami warning was canceled early Friday morning for Alaska's Aleutian Islands following a 7.1 magnitude earthquake recorded in the Pacific Ocean.
The warning was canceled after only a small wave was recorded in the community of Atka, Alaska.
"In Atka, they had a little bump of a wave, but nothing of any kind of a destructive power. Just a wave," said Jeremy Zidek, a spokesman for the Alaska Department of Homeland Security.
The earthquake struck at about 2:55 a.m. AKDT, and there were no initial reports of injuries or damage, according to the United States Geological Survey.
The tsunami warning was issued for coastal areas of Alaska from Unimak Pass to Amchitka Pass, remote and not heavily populated areas.
Residents were evacuating to higher ground in Atka but then stopped at the cancellation, Zidek said.
A woman who answered the phone at the city hall in Unalaska, Alaska, but declined to give her name said people at Dutch Harbor, Alaska, were awakened by sirens.
"We have some people on high ground, but not a lot," she said before the warning was canceled. "Sirens woke us all up - everybody's moving."
The state emergency response center was staffed early Friday morning.
In June, an earthquake with a magnitude of 7.2 in the same area of the Aleutians also prompted a tsunami warning.
alaska, earthquake, national/world
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Slightly Cooler Sunday 52 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Off-duty cop shoots man during fight
- Police: Deadly shooting at after-hours bar
- PSU trustee resigns, regrets Paterno vote
- Mom of Tasered teen arrested for shoplifting
- Jet crash: Oil slicks found; Passports stolen
- Woman trapped after crashing SUV in Darby Boro
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Slightly Cooler Sunday
52 min ago
- Skydiver gets tangled with landing plane
39 min ago
- Student meets bone marrow recipient for...
36 min ago