Tsunami warning canceled after Alaska earthquake
ANCHORAGE, Alaska - September 2, 2011 (WPVI) -- A tsunami warning was canceled early Friday morning for Alaska's Aleutian Islands following a 7.1 magnitude earthquake recorded in the Pacific Ocean.
The warning was canceled after only a small wave was recorded in the community of Atka, Alaska.
"In Atka, they had a little bump of a wave, but nothing of any kind of a destructive power. Just a wave," said Jeremy Zidek, a spokesman for the Alaska Department of Homeland Security.
The earthquake struck at about 2:55 a.m. AKDT, and there were no initial reports of injuries or damage, according to the United States Geological Survey.
The tsunami warning was issued for coastal areas of Alaska from Unimak Pass to Amchitka Pass, remote and not heavily populated areas.
Residents were evacuating to higher ground in Atka but then stopped at the cancellation, Zidek said.
A woman who answered the phone at the city hall in Unalaska, Alaska, but declined to give her name said people at Dutch Harbor, Alaska, were awakened by sirens.
"We have some people on high ground, but not a lot," she said before the warning was canceled. "Sirens woke us all up - everybody's moving."
The state emergency response center was staffed early Friday morning.
In June, an earthquake with a magnitude of 7.2 in the same area of the Aleutians also prompted a tsunami warning.
alaska, earthquake, national/world
- Carolers sing to grant Pa. cancer patient's wish 11 min ago
- Record Warmth!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Hospital: Teen shot at Colorado high school dies
- 6 apartments destroyed in Wilmington fire 54 min ago
- 1 dead, 1 wounded in East Mt. Airy shooting 24 min ago
- Police search for missing Delco mother
- Woman arrested in fatal North Philly stabbing
- 4 charged with murder in NJ mall carjacking
- Penn State student dies in jump from garage
- NASA astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs
- Ransomeware a growing cyber threat for thousands
- Free diner for sale in Lawrence Twp., NJ
- Carolers sing to grant Pa. cancer patient's...
11 min ago