Republican Bachmann: 'We're in for the marathon'
WASHINGTON (AP) - September 23, 2011 (WPVI) -- Minnesota Congresswoman Michele Bachmann refuses to accept that the 2012 Republican presidential sweepstakes has come down to a choice between Mitt Romney and Rick Perry.
Bachmann says "I'm in it for the long haul."
Bachmann tells CBS's "The Early Show" she is a viable candidate, noting she won the Iowa straw poll. That test of strength happened on the same day that Perry, the governor of Texas, got into the race.
Bachmann tells interviewers she isn't participating in the Florida straw poll, saying the balloting is among a much narrower band of prospective Republicans than in Iowa. She stresses that "we're in it for the marathon." The congresswoman also says she's working hard on fundraising efforts and says the party needs a candidate "who understands the economy and job creation."
election, michele bachmann, national/world
- More Snow on the Way
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Photos: Winter storm forecast maps
- Arrest made in Beats headphone murder
- 2 arrested for violent Center City attack
- Thief steals $17K from Philadelphia charter school
- 2 PSU students charged with ethnic intimidation
- Teen shot and killed in Wilmington
- 2K get meningitis B vaccinations at Princeton
- US Airways, American merger complete
- Rachael Ray's cookbook competition
- Video: Woman finds, returns envelope full of cash