Republican Bachmann: 'We're in for the marathon'
WASHINGTON (AP) - September 23, 2011 (WPVI) -- Minnesota Congresswoman Michele Bachmann refuses to accept that the 2012 Republican presidential sweepstakes has come down to a choice between Mitt Romney and Rick Perry.
Bachmann says "I'm in it for the long haul."
Bachmann tells CBS's "The Early Show" she is a viable candidate, noting she won the Iowa straw poll. That test of strength happened on the same day that Perry, the governor of Texas, got into the race.
Bachmann tells interviewers she isn't participating in the Florida straw poll, saying the balloting is among a much narrower band of prospective Republicans than in Iowa. She stresses that "we're in it for the marathon." The congresswoman also says she's working hard on fundraising efforts and says the party needs a candidate "who understands the economy and job creation."
election, michele bachmann, national/world
- Photos: Maps of Monday's expected snow
- Snow likely Sunday into Monday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Renovation competitors fight at Phila. fire scenes
- Moving day for Oak Lane Garden residents
- SEPTA union agrees to delay strike
- 1 critical after being shot multiple times in Wilmington
- 100 plus weight loss journey to healthy living
- Boyd Theatre to be demolished, rebuilt
- Phila. Police search for suspect in Rite Aid robbery
- Missing plane: Piracy theory gains more credence
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police