NY judge tosses Madoff suits targeting hedge funds
NEW YORK (AP) - September 26, 2011 (WPVI) -- A federal judge has thrown out lawsuits in which investors blamed hedge funds for failing to detect Bernard Madoff's massive fraud.
The ruling by Judge Deborah Batts was made public Monday. It says investors in the hedge funds run by J. Ezra Merkin were sufficiently warned about risks.
The Manhattan jurist says a few people were suspicious about Madoff's practices before the allegations were publicly revealed. But she says it wasn't widely known - and he even duped government regulators.
The 73-year-old Madoff is serving a 150-year prison term after admitting the fraud.
bernard madoff, trial, fraud, national/world
- McNabb serves 1-day sentence after DUI arrest 54 min ago
- Frost Advisory Overnight 20 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 1 dead, 1 wounded in Crescentville shooting 11 min ago
- Heist investigation leads to Roxborough apartment 45 min ago
- Stalkers have QVC host living in fear
- 13 pound baby born at Delco hospital
- Police: Elderly man targeted in Chester home invasion 57 min ago
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids 1 min ago
- Police: Brandywine Park flasher surrenders
- Reward offered in poisoning of puppy
- WWII vet gets anonymous surprise in Warminster
- Beau Biden to run for governor in Del.
- Frost Advisory Overnight
20 min ago
- McNabb serves 1-day sentence after DUI arrest
54 min ago
- Heist investigation leads to Roxborough...
45 min ago