NY judge tosses Madoff suits targeting hedge funds
NEW YORK (AP) - September 26, 2011 (WPVI) -- A federal judge has thrown out lawsuits in which investors blamed hedge funds for failing to detect Bernard Madoff's massive fraud.
The ruling by Judge Deborah Batts was made public Monday. It says investors in the hedge funds run by J. Ezra Merkin were sufficiently warned about risks.
The Manhattan jurist says a few people were suspicious about Madoff's practices before the allegations were publicly revealed. But she says it wasn't widely known - and he even duped government regulators.
The 73-year-old Madoff is serving a 150-year prison term after admitting the fraud.
bernard madoff, trial, fraud, national/world
- Over 75 injured in partial London theater collapse 33 min ago
- Record Weekend Warmth 25 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's
- Steps you can take to reduce fraud risk
- 1 dead after car plunges into lake in Vineland 26 min ago
- Is heroin addiction as close as your medicine cabinet? 32 min ago
- Philadelphia Police search for missing 2-year-old boy 30 min ago
- Attempted child luring in Newtown, Bucks County
- Holiday tips, cards stolen in East Pikeland Twp.
- Pastor defrocked after performing son's gay wedding
- 50 coworkers in Del. to split $1M Mega Millions ticket
- Bring old clothes to new H&M for savings
- Record Weekend Warmth
25 min ago
- Over 75 injured in partial London theater...
33 min ago
More 6abc.com resources
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos