Ophelia a dangerous Category 3 hurricane
Sunday, October 02, 2011
MIAMI - October 2, 2011 (WPVI) -- Forecasters say Ophelia has weakened from a powerful Category 4 hurricane to a still-dangerous Category 3 storm while heading northward toward Newfoundland, Canada.The National Hurricane Center in Miami said at 8 a.m. EDT Sunday that Ophelia's top sustained winds remained about 125 mph (205 kph) and the storm was moving north-northeast at 30 mph (48 kph). Ophelia was centered about 760 miles (1,220 kilometers) southwest of Cape Race, Newfoundland, and a tropical storm watch was in effect for Newfoundland's Avalon Peninsula. The center says Ophelia is expected to weaken steadily but still be near hurricane strength when it passes close to the peninsula Monday. Meanwhile, Tropical Storm Philippe was turning more westward far out over the central Atlantic away from land.
(Copyright ©2013 WPVI-TV/DT. All Rights Reserved.)
hurricanes and tropical storms, severe weather, national/world
- Temple University cuts 7 intercollegiate sports
- Periods of rain today, getting cooler
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Victim ID'd in deadly Wilmington hit-and-run 31 min ago
- Video released in pizza delivery driver shooting 50 min ago
- Female suspect arrested in Christmas package theft 9 min ago
- Would-be robber stabbed; suspect's mom talks
- Funeral for Nelson Mandela to be held Dec. 15th
- Center City rape victim speaks to Action News
- Elkins Park sisters treated at KoP by Make-a-Wish 30 min ago
- Area medical schools use 'Jeopardy' as learning tool 14 min ago
- Photos: East Passyunk Avenue Tree Lighting Party
- Victim ID'd in deadly Wilmington hit-and-run
31 min ago
- Female suspect arrested in Christmas...
9 min ago
- Video released in pizza delivery driver...
50 min ago
- Area medical schools use 'Jeopardy' as...
14 min ago
More 6abc.com resources