NC man accused in 3 slayings set for trial
GASTONIA, N.C. (AP) - October 3, 2011 (WPVI) -- A North Carolina man accused of killing three female acquaintances and dumping two of them in South Carolina is scheduled to go on trial for capital murder in one of the cases.
Jury selection was scheduled to begin Monday in the first of what will likely be three trials for 49-year-old Danny Hembree Jr. He could face the death penalty if he is convicted.
Hembree goes on trial first for the 2009 killing of 17-year-old Heather Catterton, whose body was found near Clover, S.C. He's also charged with killing 30-year-old Randi Dean Saldana, whose burned remains were found near Blacksburg, S.C.
Investigators say Hembree also killed Deborah Ratchford in 1992. The other two cases will be tried separately.
trial, south carolina, north carolina, national/world
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- AccuWeather: Two very mild days
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Man shot by off-duty cop during fight ID'd
- Photos: 7 recent child porn arrests in Pa.and Del.
- Police investigate 2 shootings at illegal Trenton bar
- Man arrested after Phila. police crash, chase ID'd 30 min ago
- Accused wedding crasher thief pleads guilty
- SEPTA, union resume talks to avoid strike
- Police step up search in deadly hit-and-run
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspect
- Stolen passports probed in Malaysian plane mystery 33 min ago
- Photos: Pictures from the 2014 Red Ball