Giffords to attend husband's retirement ceremony
TUCSON, Ariz. (AP) - October 5, 2011 (WPVI) -- U.S. Rep. Gabrielle Giffords plans to attend a military retirement ceremony for her husband Mark Kelly in Washington, D.C., on Thursday.
Giffords' press secretary, Mark Kimble, tells The Associated Press that the Arizona congresswoman will leave Houston on Wednesday to attend the ceremony that's being presided over by Vice President Joseph Biden.
Following the ceremony, Kimble says Giffords will return to Houston where she is recovering after being shot in January outside a Tucson grocery store.
Kelly was the commander of the last mission of space shuttle Endeavour in May. He is writing a memoir with his wife that is set to be released Nov. 15.
rep. gabrielle giffords, nasa, national/world
- Photos: Maps of Monday's expected snow
- Snow likely Sunday into Monday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Students evacuated in Camden H.S. gas leak
- 3 injured in 2-alarm fire in Holmesburg 55 min ago
- Family displaced in Wilmington house fire
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL 22 min ago
- Missing plane: Piracy theory gains more credence 7 min ago
- SEPTA union agrees to keep working 2 min ago
- Police investigate death of toddler at Del. daycare
- Teen father arrested for biting nose off infant
- 5 arrested after Logan murder, standoff
- Video: Pastor collapses, dies, after admitting...
- SEPTA union agrees to keep working
2 min ago
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL
22 min ago