Reports: Italian man detained after US jogger dies
ROME (AP) - October 7, 2011 (WPVI) -- News reports say Italian police have detained the driver of a car believed to have struck and killed an American woman while she was jogging in Tuscany.
A Tuscan businessman, Pietro Stefanoni, turned himself in early Friday after police located the vehicle and discovered it had already been repaired. The ANSA news agency reports that after some 12 hours of questioning, Stefanoni was ordered held on accusations of manslaughter and leaving the scene of a crime.
Stefanoni reportedly told authorities he fell asleep at the wheel on Sunday afternoon when his car apparently fatally struck 23-year-old Allison Owens of Columbus, Ohio, as she jogged along a busy state highway running through the town of San Giovanni Valdarno, between Florence and Arezzo.
italy, ohio, national/world
- 2 men sought in Deptford Twp. hotel robbery 12 min ago
- Temps Soar
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Quick moving blaze damages house in West Philly 43 min ago
- 1 dead after car plunges into lake in Vineland
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's
- Steps you can take to reduce fraud risk
- Over 75 injured in partial London theater collapse
- Is heroin addiction as close as your medicine cabinet? 20 min ago
- Philadelphia Police search for missing 2-year-old boy
- Attempted child luring in Newtown, Bucks County
- Video: Remembering a wife/mother lost to cancer
- 50 coworkers in Del. to split $1M Mega Millions ticket
- Temps Soar
- 2 men sought in Deptford Twp. hotel robbery
12 min ago
- Quick moving blaze damages house in West...
43 min ago