Libyan official: Gadhafi hiding in southern desert
Monday, October 10, 2011
TRIPOLI, Libya (AP) - October 10, 2011 (WPVI) -- A representative of Libya's ethnic Tuareg group says he believes Moammar Gadhafi is hiding in the southwestern desert near the borders with Niger and Algeria.Moussa al-Kouni, the Tuareg representative on the governing National Transitional Council, says the fugitive leader could even be taking advantage of the rough terrain to go back and forth unnoticed across the border into Niger. Al-Kouni produced no evidence during a news conference Monday. But he claims Gadhafi sent his son Khamis to the area two months before Tripoli fell to set up a radio station and make preparations in case the regime had to flee. There has been much speculation about Gadhafi's whereabouts and some officials have alleged the Tuaregs are giving him shelter.
(Copyright ©2013 WPVI-TV/DT. All Rights Reserved.)
libya, revolution, revolt, riot, national/world
- Actor James Gandolfini dies at 51
- Splendid spring finale
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Get the new 6abc StormTracker app
- Boy, 6, hit by car in East Oak Lane
- Villanova lockdown over, all suspects in custody 46 min ago
- Crackdown on illegal street vendors in W. Phila.
- Pregnant woman, 2 others shot in N. Phila. 35 min ago
- Viewer takes photos of bear in back yard
- Men's Wearhouse ousts founder, pitchman Zimmer
- 20 people charged in Ocean Co. heroin raids
- 15 charged in NJ unemployment fraud case
- AMA declares obesity a disease [POLL]
- Video: Phila. choir shares stage with Rolling Stones
- Villanova lockdown over, all suspects in...
46 min ago
- Pregnant woman, 2 others shot in N. Phila.
35 min ago
More 6abc.com resources