France: Math teacher immolates herself at school
MONTPELLIER, France - October 14, 2011 (WPVI) -- A high school math teacher in southern France sprayed herself with a flammable product and set herself alight in the schoolyard during recess Thursday, France's education minister said.
The motives behind the incident, which took place early Thursday in the Mediterranean city of Beziers, were not immediately clear.
The teacher, whose name has not been released, was flown via helicopter to nearby Montpellier and hospitalized with serious burns.
"I saw a person who was running and on fire. it was a human torch," said Dolores Roques, a fellow teacher at the school, on France-Info radio. "I didn't believe my eyes. It seemed unreal. The students were screaming everywhere."
Education Minister Luc Chatel visited the hospital, and said a psychological support unit would be set up in the school.
Chatel said her health "is extremely worrying." Speaking on RTL radio, he described her as a "teacher who is in a situation of great fragility" who has been undergoing medical and professional help and that an investigation would help determine the reasons for her "desperate act."
- Missing Skippack student found in North Carolina
- Spotty, but drenching showers this afternoon, a t'storm also possible
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Bus co. mistake cancels kids' DC field trip
- 8 charged in $14M drug operation in SE Pa.
- New details released in NJ liquor swapping
- Man gets life in prison for murder of Pa. musician 53 min ago
- 2 dead in separate police involved shootings
- Video shows assault rifle shooting at strip club
- Allentown fire crews find body in burned apartment
- NJ man accused of defrauding FEMA
- Cicadas arriving in NJ in time for holiday weekend
- POLL: Should Boy Scouts lift ban on gay scouts?