Security heavy at private service for Steve Jobs
Monday, October 17, 2011
PALO ALTO, Calif. (AP) - October 16, 2011 (WPVI) -- Security is heavy at Stanford University as some of Silicon Valley's elite gather for a private memorial for Apple Inc. co-founder Steve Jobs.It was unclear when the event started or how many were in attendance but reporters saw dozens of people walking from a church to another building. Soft music could be heard coming from there later.
Apple spokesman Todd Wilder tells reporters he's been there since 2 p.m. PDT. He says it's a private event and he can't release any details about it. Stanford has also declined comment. Earlier, guards directed the handful of reporters to a parking lot several hundred yards away from Stanford's Memorial Church where the service was held. Additional personnel behind steel barricades allowed only a smattering of vehicles to enter the area. Jobs was the mastermind behind popular gadgets such as the iPhone and iPad. He died Oct. 5 at age 56 after struggling for years with pancreatic cancer.
(Copyright ©2013 WPVI-TV/DT. All Rights Reserved.)
apple, steve jobs, national/world
- 2 dead in separate police involved shootings
- Showers, thunderstorms today
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- AG: 29 New Jersey bars swapped top-shelf liquor
- Video shows assault rifle shooting at strip club
- Allentown fire crews find body in burned apartment
- Driver injured in crash involving Delaware fire chief
- NJ man accused of defrauding FEMA 58 min ago
- Cicadas arriving in NJ in time for holiday weekend 53 min ago
- Jose Canseco accused of sexual assault in Vegas
- $2B in Okla. tornado damage means hard recovery
- Faith-healing couple charged in son's death
- Finding the perfect bra
More 6abc.com resources