Fight in Matamoros prison leaves 20 inmates dead
MEXICO CITY (AP) - October 15, 2011 (WPVI) -- A bloody, hours-long fight in a prison in the Mexican border city of Matamoros on Saturday left 20 inmates dead and 12 injured, state officials said.
The fight apparently started with a dispute between two inmates and other prisoners joined in, creating a melee that lasted until authorities retook control of the facility in Matamoros, which sits across the border from Brownsville, Texas.
A statement from state public security department in Tamaulipas, where Matamoros is located, said officials were notifying the families of those killed and injured. It said there would be an investigation.
The violence lasted from about 8 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. local time before soldiers and marines took control, according to a state official who was not authorized to comment.
The violence comes as Mexican prison conditions have been under increased scrutiny because of violence and escapes.
On Thursday, a fight between gang members at a prison outside Monterrey left seven inmates dead. In July, a riot in a prison in the border city of Juarez killed 17 inmates.
Gangs and drug cartels often dispute for control of prisons in Mexico, which also suffer a high level of corruption.
- Bicyclist impaled on fence in Fairmount Park 42 min ago
- Another Beauty
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Get the new 6abc StormTracker app
- Actor James Gandolfini dies at 51
- Shots fired at man sitting on steps in Point Breeze 53 min ago
- Water main break buckles road in South Philly
- Villanova lockdown over, all suspects in custody
- Boy, 6, hit by car in East Oak Lane
- Photos: Pictures of bear sightings in the area
- Pregnant woman, 2 others shot in N. Phila.
- 20 people charged in Ocean Co. heroin raids
- 15 charged in NJ unemployment fraud case
- Video: Phila. choir shares stage with Rolling Stones
- Bicyclist impaled on fence in Fairmount Park
42 min ago