Man convicted in 1967 Ohio schoolgirl slaying
TOLEDO, Ohio (AP) - October 28, 2011 (WPVI) -- A man accused of killing an Ohio schoolgirl in 1967 after holding her captive in his basement for days has been convicted of murder and sentenced to life in prison.
Lucas County jurors found Robert Bowman, now 75, guilty Friday of killing 14-year-old Eileen Adams. Judge Gene Zmuda handed down the sentence.
Adams disappeared on her way home from school in Toledo. Her body was found weeks later wrapped in a rug in a southern Michigan field.
Police didn't connect Bowman with the killing until the early 1980s when his former wife said she had seen the girl tied up in their basement. It wasn't enough to bring charges.
Bowman was charged five years ago when police say DNA linked him to the killing.
Bowman says he will appeal.
ohio, trial, sentencing, homicide, national/world
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student death 5 min ago
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Reward offered in Collingdale hit-and-run
- Hunt for missing Malaysian jet widens 23 min ago
- 6 students hurt in Camden Co. school bus crash 53 min ago
- Pa. Turnpike pileup focus of senate hearing 18 min ago
- 2nd suspect sought in finger-biting attack
- Woman shot in bed in South Philadelphia
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Photos: Thwarted! 10 suspects caught in the act
More 6abc.com resources
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos