Madoff son didn't suspect father of Ponzi scheme
NEW YORK (AP) - October 31, 2011 (WPVI) -- Andrew Madoff says he never suspected his financier father of running a Ponzi scheme because he grew up hearing what a legend he was.
He says people had an incredible vision of Bernard Madoff as a "spectacularly skillful trader."
Andrew Madoff made his comments Monday during an appearance with his mother, Ruth, and his fiancDee, Catherine Hooper, on NBC's "Today" show.
Their appearance coincided with the publication of "Truth and Consequences" by Laurie Sandell. It contains extensive interviews with family members.
Andrew Madoff says the book provided an opportunity to say in their own words what had really happened, and "to speak to the thousands of victims I don't know."
Ruth Madoff says she doesn't miss her husband. She says: "The villain of all this is behind bars."
bernard madoff, new york, new york city, national/world
- Nelson Mandela dies at age 95
- Wet to Wintry
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Photos: Nelson Mandela: Through the years
- Police raid alleged chop shop in North Philadelphia 43 min ago
- Restaurant owner slashes robber with sushi knife
- Feds accused of targeting minorities in stash house stings
- Center City rape victims speaks to Action News
- Surveillance: Christmas packages stolen from home
- Christmas decoration theft caught on camera
- Fmr. Marine's murder suspect held on $2M bail
- Photos: 21 suspects ID'd in Collingdale drug sweep
- Arrest in theft of Porsche part from Walker crash 59 min ago
- Jim Gardner recalls visiting Mandela's cell
42 min ago