Worker dies in NYC building collapse
NEW YORK - November 8, 2011 (WPVI) -- Fire officials say one worker is dead and four others were injured after a building collapsed in Brooklyn.
The Fire Department of New York says the workers were in a five-story building when it collapsed Tuesday. Two of the injured are in serious condition.
Images from a helicopter over the scene in Brighton Beach showed rescuers scrambling to claw their way through a pile of rubble where the building had mostly crumbled to the ground. One trapped worker was pulled onto a stretcher and lowered to the ground.
Buildings Department spokesman Tony Sclafani says inspectors are investigating whether improper procedures played a role in the collapse. He says work permits were issued in July, 2011 and that there were no open violations.
new york, building collapse, collapse, national/world
- Photos: AccuWeather Maps: Snow arrives
- Snow is turning the ground white again! 19 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app 4 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Woman, 98, injured in Powelton high-rise fire
- Mike Schmidt reveals skin cancer battle
- Police: Driver, who hit pedestrian, hit by car
- Malaysian police examine pilot's flight simulator
- Crimeans vote to leave Ukraine, join Russia
- March Madness: Villanova, St. Joe's, UDel all in
- Delaware man suspected in 14 different thefts
- NJ salon customer allegedly attacks employees
- NJ state police trooper among 3 injured in crash
- Book 'em! Wilmington cop donates books to kids
- Snow is turning the ground white again!
19 min ago