Worker dies in NYC building collapse
NEW YORK - November 8, 2011 (WPVI) -- Fire officials say one worker is dead and four others were injured after a building collapsed in Brooklyn.
The Fire Department of New York says the workers were in a five-story building when it collapsed Tuesday. Two of the injured are in serious condition.
Images from a helicopter over the scene in Brighton Beach showed rescuers scrambling to claw their way through a pile of rubble where the building had mostly crumbled to the ground. One trapped worker was pulled onto a stretcher and lowered to the ground.
Buildings Department spokesman Tony Sclafani says inspectors are investigating whether improper procedures played a role in the collapse. He says work permits were issued in July, 2011 and that there were no open violations.
new york, building collapse, collapse, national/world
- Photos: Pictures from Easter Sunday services
- AccuWeather: Easter to be comfortable, breezy
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Video: 5,000 turn out for Easter service in Mt. Airy
- Pope Francis, huge crowd joyously celebrate Easter
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- Man shot, killed in Gloucester Twp. apartment
- Man found shot in minivan in Tioga-Nicetown
- Girl hospitalized after near-drowning in Philly hotel
- 2 injured after car hits Camden police cruiser
- Man targeted in Collingdale hit-and-run ID'd
- Divers pull more bodies from sunken South Korean ferry
- Video: Snowmobiler charged by angry moose