Calif. Marine beaten to death at Camp Pendleton
CAMP PENDLETON, Calif. (AP) - November 9, 2011 (WPVI) -- Authorities in California have determined that a Marine who was found dead in his Camp Pendleton barracks was beaten to death by another Marine.
The North County Times says investigators determined that 19-year-old Lance Cpl. Mario Arias Jr. was attacked at the San Diego County base over the weekend.
Ed Buice of the Naval Criminal Investigative Service says the suspect then jumped from a third-floor balcony and received significant injuries. He's expected to recover.
His name isn't being released until charges are filed.
Arias was from Canoga Park and enlisted last year. He was an air crew trainee from Marine Light Attack Helicopter Training Squadron 303 of the 3rd Marine Aircraft Wing.
marine corps, california, national/world
- Skydiver ID'd in fatal Washing Twp. accident
- 70s Return This Week
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- $10K to $30K stolen in Target armed robbery
- I-95 reopens after car catches fire
- Person of interest ID'd in Collingdale hit-and-run
- Residents displaced after West Philadelphia fire
- 4 injured in Route 295 crash
- Camden teen reported missing 45 min ago
- Miss America: Don't suspend teen over prom invite 43 min ago
- Oscar Mayer hot dogs recalled due to misbranding
- Photos: Pictures from Easter Sunday services
- Photos: Jamie Apody welcomes Baby Chase!
- Miss America: Don't suspend teen over prom...
43 min ago