Calif. Marine beaten to death at Camp Pendleton
CAMP PENDLETON, Calif. (AP) - November 9, 2011 (WPVI) -- Authorities in California have determined that a Marine who was found dead in his Camp Pendleton barracks was beaten to death by another Marine.
The North County Times says investigators determined that 19-year-old Lance Cpl. Mario Arias Jr. was attacked at the San Diego County base over the weekend.
Ed Buice of the Naval Criminal Investigative Service says the suspect then jumped from a third-floor balcony and received significant injuries. He's expected to recover.
His name isn't being released until charges are filed.
Arias was from Canoga Park and enlisted last year. He was an air crew trainee from Marine Light Attack Helicopter Training Squadron 303 of the 3rd Marine Aircraft Wing.
marine corps, california, national/world
- 1 dead, 5 hurt in Trenton drive-by shooting
- Record Warmth!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Carolers sing to grant Pa. cancer patient's wish
- Crews battle house fire in Elsmere
- Hospital: Teen shot at Colorado high school dies
- Photos: Snowy owl spotted in Strathmere 56 min ago
- 6 apartments destroyed in Wilmington fire
- 1 dead, 1 wounded in East Mt. Airy shooting
- $10K reward posted in Delco murder case
- Police search for missing Delco mother
- 4 charged with murder in NJ mall carjacking
- NASA astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs